Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Which transmission fluid to use in T-56?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 07:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.tremec.com/faqs.php
Old 04-06-2017, 07:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, that is all new ^^^^ It was totally different this morning.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ******
drain from the rear drain plug, fill from DS plug. I have a hand pump 1 qt bottle I use to pump the fluid in. no mess.
Rear drain plug is on passenger side and fill plug is on driver side right?
Old 04-07-2017, 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I sometimes just run a 6-7 ft. tygon hose from the fill port up to the engine bay by the clutch reservoir. Stick on a funnel and start gravity filling just short of 4 quarts. If you have other things to do in the garage it doesn't take much time.

Both plugs are accessible from the driver's side.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Firebrian
I sometimes just run a 6-7 ft. tygon hose from the fill port up to the engine bay by the clutch reservoir. Stick on a funnel and start gravity filling just short of 4 quarts. If you have other things to do in the garage it doesn't take much time.

Both plugs are accessible from the driver's side.
Thanks, I think I'll try out the gravity feed method. Seems a lot better that using the hand pump lol
Old 04-12-2017, 02:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by INFERNY
Rear drain plug is on passenger side and fill plug is on driver side right?
yes

Originally Posted by INFERNY
Thanks, I think I'll try out the gravity feed method. Seems a lot better that using the hand pump lol
not rocket science filling the tranny. The simple hand pumps that fit 1 qt oil bottles are sold at most auto part stores for about $10

guess you could go buy some hose & a funnel and fill from up top if you feel that is easier.....since you need to get under car to drain it...you are right there filling it. Tranny is full when fluid starts to come out of fill hole

T56 holds 4 qts
Old 06-26-2017, 07:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just changed my '00 with 18k mi, figured 17+ yrs on original fill. Should be changed out, so no issues occur. Always shifted smooth. Want to retain that.

Used 4qts of Castrol Domestic Multi-vehicle (ATF) Automatic Transmission Fluid yesterday, form Advance Auto:
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...hTerm=castrol+

Drove around town last night, feels notchy and catchy in between gears

Now I ordered ACDelco Manual Transmission Fluid 888618008 from Summit. Switching to that, once it shows up:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ado-10-4033

Wanted this initially but Tremec's site just says any general DEX III. That's not the case. That Castrol feels awful.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dojob
Just changed my '00 with 18k mi, figured 17+ yrs on original fill. Should be changed out, so no issues occur. Always shifted smooth. Want to retain that.

Used 4qts of Castrol Domestic Multi-vehicle (ATF) Automatic Transmission Fluid yesterday, form Advance Auto:
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...hTerm=castrol+

Drove around town last night, feels notchy and catchy in between gears

Now I ordered ACDelco Manual Transmission Fluid 888618008 from Summit. Switching to that, once it shows up:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ado-10-4033

Wanted this initially but Tremec's site just says any general DEX III. That's not the case. That Castrol feels awful.

CONFIRMED:

ACDelco Manual Transmission Fluid 888618008 is smoother than the original fill i drained out on 2 days ago and way better than the Castrol DexIII that I drained out today.

Disengaging the existing gear and engaging the next is smooth and cushioned. Shouldn't of doubted myself from the get-go and just bought this to begin with.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:52 PM
8 Second Club

Received 944 Likes on 700 Posts

I use RSG 150SM, seems to work great. It's noted as replacing GM 12345349.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
I use RSG 150SM, seems to work great. It's noted as replacing GM 12345349.
Whatever you feel works for you.

Synchromesh is only for the TKO 5-speed. DEX III ATF is for the T-56 6-speed.

Especially on '98-'00 t-56 cars... anything other than mineral (non-synthetic) based DEX III ATF is bad for the paper blocker rings and other components designed with to work with DEX III ATF

Tremec's FAQ page on lubricants reiterates this as well:
http://tremec.com/faqs.php
Old 06-28-2017, 10:19 AM
8 Second Club

Received 944 Likes on 700 Posts

Whatever you feel works for you.

Synchromesh is only for the TKO 5-speed. DEX III ATF is for the T-56 6-speed.

Especially on '98-'00 t-56 cars... anything other than mineral (non-synthetic) based DEX III ATF is bad for the paper blocker rings and other components designed with to work with DEX III ATF

Tremec's FAQ page on lubricants reiterates this as well:
http://tremec.com/faqs.php
Indeed, works great! I tried stock fluid, DEX III, synchromesh, mixing different fluids, you name it.

150SM has helped a stock T56 hold up to over 800hp, and a rebuilt one to over 1000hp and shifts like butter. I run the 150SM in my TR-6060 that gets beat on with twin turbos, along with an MGW shifter shifting is great.
Old 06-30-2017, 04:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

CONFIRMED:

ACDelco Manual Transmission Fluid 888618008 is smoother than the original fill i drained out on 2 days ago and way better than the Castrol DexIII that I drained out today.

Disengaging the existing gear and engaging the next is smooth and cushioned. Shouldn't of doubted myself from the get-go and just bought this to begin with.
I'm surprised it was noticeable. The Castrol TransMax Dex/Merc is very similar in viscosity and add pack to the GM stuff. I drained my factory fill at 12K miles/13 yrs old for Valvoline Dex 3 and noticed no difference. This last fluid change I went with the GM 8861800, no real change that I could tell. I'm going to stick with that for now as it has a slightly better anti-wear and friction modifier add package than your typical conventional Dex 3....though not a huge difference. The synthetic ATF's have far stronger AW add packs than the conventionals (Amsoil Torque Drive ATF, Redline D4, Mobil 1 ATF, Honda DW1, etc.).

Thanks for your personal input. Those always help.

Last edited by Firebrian; 06-30-2017 at 04:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Which transmission fluid to use in T-56?