Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Just rebuilt T56 - Stuck in neutral

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 08:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just rebuilt T56 - Stuck in neutral

I just finished buttoning up my first T56 build, and as far as I can tell, it's stuck in neutral. I can't get it to go into any gear. I would just pull it back apart to see what's going on, but I had the 5/6 driven gear journal welded up and machined down for a tighter fit, and I can't get it back off.

Any ideas what would cause this? The assembly went smoothly. New bearings, blockers, keys, springs, etc. I re-shimmed the races for end play and preload. Everything spins freely.

I dont one have a shifter handle (the shifter base is one of those funky Viper offset deals). I've just got a 3" bolt run down in the shifter base where the handle would go. I wouldn't think it would be too difficult to get it into gear tho.

Any ideas? I'm not sure what my options are since I can't get 5/6 driven gear back off.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:14 PM
9 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

If the shift fork interlock deal is messed up your going to have to pull it apart, unless you can pull the mid plate off to get to them?
Old 04-08-2017, 09:27 PM
Teching In

I was beginning to think that may be the issue. I couldn't find a decent picture or explanation for how to set it during assembly. I tried to set it to neutral and it seemed to be working at the time. I guess I'll have to pull the mid plate and see if I can see anything.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:47 AM
Teching In

It's tough to make out anything in these pictures, but I'm wondering if anyone can see an issue with the shift selector. This is with the mid plate removed and looking into the transmission from the motor end.

This is my first time in a T56, and when I pulled the mid plate off the first time it popped off. Both shift rails came loose, so I never got to see how they were arranged.

Attached Thumbnails Just rebuilt T56 - Stuck in neutral-shiftselector-1-.jpg   Just rebuilt T56 - Stuck in neutral-shiftselector.jpg  
Old 04-13-2017, 02:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

tough to see the pic on my little phone, but interlock linkage looks correct. Looks to me like you've got the 3/4 slider ring one tooth off?....that little arrow on the slider should line up with the synchro key. Again pic is hard to tell on my screen tho.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:14 AM
Teching In

And I believe we found the problem. In attempt to keep parts in order, I left the roll-pin in the offset lever..... then I forgot about it. When I put everything back together, I dutifully put in a new roll pin. The extra roll pin wouldn't let the detent ball compress. So it was stuck in one position. Glad I figured it out before I went to the trouble of pressing 5/6 off the shaft. Now I just have to get everything back together with the mainshaft in the case.

@jmm98LS1, I thought you'd found the problem last week! I looked at the picture, and thought sure enough. But when I looked at the actual slider, what looks like the arrow in the picture is just a scratch and bit of grease on the slider. I appreciate you looking though! I was desperate for any help!

Attached Thumbnails Just rebuilt T56 - Stuck in neutral-tworollpins.jpg  
Old 04-17-2017, 09:23 AM
9 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Awesome! Glad you found the problem and was an easy fix!
Old 04-17-2017, 10:48 AM
Teching In

Me too! I was debating on sending it off to have it looked at because I don't have a press big enough to get the 5/6 gear off. Finding this saved me several hundred dollars.

I'm just waiting on a new spring and c-clips now. I couldn't extricate the two roll pins from the spring without deforming it. I figure since I'm getting new snap rings, I might as well add the $3 spring to the order.

Quick Reply: Just rebuilt T56 - Stuck in neutral