Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

SPEC3+ LS1/LS6 Rebuildable? Attn Spec-01!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 01:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default SPEC3+ LS1/LS6 Rebuildable? Attn Spec-01!

As the title asks, is this clutch rebuildable? I was thinking resurface flywheel and pressure plate and have the clutch inspected/rebuilt. Replace pilot, replace slave/throwout bearing.

A local shop says yes, but I'd like to get SPEC's answer on this. I already e-mailed via the website and decided to ask here as well since I know he/she frequents this forum often.

98 Camaro is pushing 450+ ft/lb at the wheels through a moser 9 inch, maybe 550ft/lb at the engine, never been on an engine dyno.

This is not a catastrophic failure! This is a clutch that has hit its end of life.

Daily driven, winter/summer, 120k miles, 200+ drag launches, 20+ autox, 6 years as of next month! Tick master cylinder, C6 slave modified for f-body (swap of lines, nothing fancy) Monster 28lb billet flywheel. SPEC3+ clutch and standard SPEC pressure plate.

I can't even be angry at this clutch, it did its duty.
Old 04-22-2017, 02:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

the FW can and should be resurfaced on any clutch change assuming it will still be in spec (thickness) after the re-surface. Generally a FW can be resurfaced a few times.

PP "can" be resurfaced but not common as there is a minimum thickness it needs to maintain

Clutch discs are wear items just like brake pads and need to be replaced.

SPEC I believe does offer just discs for sale
Old 04-23-2017, 10:20 PM
TECH Addict

I think I'll just get a replacement SPEC3+ at this point since its a proven clutch to me. If they are rebuildable, I'd probably still get new and send to SPEC to rebuild as I'm not 100% convinced a local shop would build it up like SPEC would.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey i am interested in getting a SPEC clutch for my setup also. i looking into the Stage 3+ as well. Can you share some more feed back on your experience with it? chatter? current mileage if possible.. anything you reply is much appreciated!
Old 05-16-2017, 10:58 PM
TECH Addict

The spec3+ is stiffer than stock, but not by much. To me it was very daily drivable, doesn't like slipping, but no crazy chatter.

As stated in my original post, it lasted a LONG time under a lot of everyday driving conditions, track, auto cross etc.

I just got a Monster Stage 3, and its pretty much on off switch when not broken in. The pressure plate feels lighter than the spec pressure plate, but I hear it slamming down on the clutch like a hammer when I let it go during quick shifts.

While I can daily drive a Monster Stage 3, I'd probably say the Spec 3+ is much more friendlier than any normal class stage 3 clutch. On removal, it still had a lot of material on it, just not enough material on it to hold my car's torque after all these years. I could probably have driven on the Spec3+ for another year of non abuse, but there's no fun in that.

Quick Reply: SPEC3+ LS1/LS6 Rebuildable? Attn Spec-01!