Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

McLeod RST Rattle at 1500RPM under load

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 10:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default McLeod RST Rattle at 1500RPM under load

I just installed a McLeod RST twin-disk and Aluminum flywheel kit in my car.

Around 1500rpm, and only under any load (not neutral, coast, or idle) I get what sounds like gear chatter. It's fairly loud.

Here is a video I found of a Mustang. Same exact sound. (10 seconds and 13 seconds, most noticeable at 24 seconds)

I have seen other threads saying "its normal" because the rst is unsprung, but it certainly doesn't sound normal and needs to be addressed.

1990 Camaro Iroc-Z
LS6
TSP 228R Cam
Tick Stage 2 T56 (~4000 miles on it)
Ford 8.8 Hybrid rear axle
Stock driveshaft
Old 06-01-2017, 10:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

i was told by d and d this will happen in 4th gear with my rxt and you have to drive around it . Only in 4th gear though .
Old 06-01-2017, 10:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

unsprung discs do transfer more harmonics from the motor than a sprung hub will. This generally occurs more when you lug the motor.

If your situation is only when you short shift and apply gas and you hear or feel this noise for a short period while the motor builds rpm it is normal. Just shift at a slightly higher rpm

for more 411 reach out to McLeod tech direct. Billy & Lee there have always been helpful answering any of my ?'s

Twin disc clutches typically don't have sprung hubs on the clutch discs
Old 06-01-2017, 10:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

turn the radio up louder or drive more aggressive to get out of that rpm range . Its gear chatter that d and d told me about .
Old 06-01-2017, 11:03 AM
FormerVendor

Its Harmonics. The Engine and Transmission create harmonics that are usually get dampened by springs in the hubs of the discs when using a single disc application. When going to a twin disc application and maintaining the same overall stack height of the clutch to be the same as a single disc you generally use a solid hub that deletes the springs from the hub. When the springs are not there to dampen the harmonics you are susceptible to to the engine and transmission harmonics a certain RPM's. Not lugging the motor in that specific RPM will help, down shift to bring the RPM up.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:03 AM
Teching In

It is when I'm in 3rd or 4th at 1500-2000 rpm (so short shift). I just cannot see a $1200 clutch setup sounding like its going to fall apart. Its a little embarrassing to drive around with. The issue isn't so much accelerating, but cruising in traffic where i need to hold a speed.

Is there any way to lessen it? Would a Crank Damper like the ATI help?
Old 06-01-2017, 07:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by kenney001
Is there any way to lessen it? Would a Crank Damper like the ATI help?
vvv what Billy says. Just keep the RPM's off that rpm by staying in a lower gear

A better harmonic balancer would not hurt...but would not eliminate the engine harmonics at "x" rpm under "x" load you experience feeling them. Just carry your rpm's slightly higher before you shift

Originally Posted by Billy M
Not lugging the motor in that specific RPM will help, down shift to bring the RPM up.

Quick Reply: McLeod RST Rattle at 1500RPM under load