Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch pedal stopper needed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 12:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch pedal stopper needed?

Hi! im about to start road testing on my swap and this came up. I have this kit http://www.ebay.com/itm/290847055262...witem=&vxp=mtr

My question is that will it brake the slave cylinder if the travel distance is too big or is the pressure the same and only travel lenght is longer in this kit? They dont say anything about the pressure in this kit, only the travel lenght is mentioned that its longer and pedal is easier to use.
Old 06-03-2017, 12:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

you only want the slave to move just enough to disengage the clutch. If it moves further you can over extend the clutch or slave.

So when you initially install everything and do initial start up don't push clutch in all the way. Find how far the pedal needs to go down before you can get the trans in gear by slowly depressing clutch while trying to slide it in gear, engine running. If you have the pedal all the way down and it still won't release the clutch all the way adjust the MC rod a turn and repeat until you get full disengagement. You might want to have the rear wheels off ground to confirm with clutch pedal at whatever this new adjusted stroke is the rear wheels don't continue to turn with pedal down and car in gear. If they still turn, adjust rod 1/2 turn increments until they stop with clutch fully depressed.

IDK if your clutch pedal assembly has a "stop bolt" but mine does (custom pedal assembly) so I set my stop bolt just before the pedal completely bottoms out my neutral safety switch and adjust my MC adjustable rod until I have enough stroke to allow complete disengagement

This way my stop bolt not only takes the load off my NSS as a "pedal stop" but gives me a clear pedal distance stroke by stopping the pedal when it is depressed far enough vs having to much pedal stroke where you are left to "guess or feel" how far to push the pedal in by not having some form of stop bolt.

I have seen very simple "add on" stop bolts consisting of a nut welded to pedal arm with a bolt in it that will bottom out on some form of bracket or stop.
Old 06-04-2017, 01:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 306 Likes on 206 Posts

You didn't mention what your swapping into...I suspect from your link it's a first gen Camaro...???

Anyway this is what I did on my 72 Chevelle A-body for a pedal stop...

Works great...it's adjustable, very solid feel when your at the bottom of the travel stop.
Old 06-04-2017, 01:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by ******
I have seen very simple "add on" stop bolts consisting of a nut welded to pedal arm with a bolt in it that will bottom out on some form of bracket or stop.
Originally Posted by CattleAc

^^^^ yep...very simple and works
Old 06-05-2017, 08:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the reply! I have pressed it few times just to make sure everything works but car is in the garage and not on road testin. im gonna lift the rear on stands and test the clutch as you mentioned and fabricate stopper if needed! Thank you very much for the reply!
Old 07-19-2017, 11:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wish I had found you earlier. Might have saved you a ton of time.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...l#post12028880

Quick Reply: clutch pedal stopper needed?