Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

CD009 dimensions vs. T56

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 08:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default CD009 dimensions vs. T56

Hello all.

Google is seriously failing me here. Planning an LS swap, and considering a CD009 rather than getting beat over the head for a T56. But for the life of me I cannot find any kind of dimensions, most importantly the length from bellhousing to transmission mount.....as I am hoping to be able to modify an off the shelf T56 mounting bracket (most likely for a BMW E46). Any ideas? Thanks in advance.....
Old 06-09-2017, 05:54 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Search google images and this comes up ( among others )

Old 06-10-2017, 12:39 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Foreign car transmission

Never concidered a transmission off a foreign car. How do those things hold up compared to a t56 or tr6060?
Old 06-10-2017, 04:58 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by youguessit
Never concidered a transmission off a foreign car. How do those things hold up compared to a t56 or tr6060?
Obviously that will depend on the application and what you're using it for etc.

Some claim they are very strong....but I know local drifters who've broke them at only modest power levels.

There are various info about them via google or youtube etc
Old 06-10-2017, 10:43 AM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the pic....its a step in the right direction. In my case, just a happy little street car, thinking of jumping on the BMW E46 bandwagon. No turbo, probably just a 5.3 with a stock rebuild and an LS1 cam.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:23 AM
Teching In

Default Dimensions and capabilities

Look thru the import forums. The 350z guys and the other variants of Nissan/Infiniti cars use them in all kinds of ls1/rb swaps. Toyota Supra guys are ditching r154s for them regularly as the v160 is so expensive. A brand new one from Curtousy Nissan is around $1600, just be sure if buying used you get an 06 or newer for the better synchros design. All that being said, they do hold a good amount if power and are cheap but the great rating aren't as great IMHO. Its a 6 speed with a steep first (3.48:1?) and only one cruising gear (6th). There is almost no aftermarket upgrade or rebuild parts either. I considered one of these for a while in a 240z I am building, but ultimately decided I liked the gearing of the T56 better

So​​​ in summary:

CD009: inexpensive, very tough and readily available used for even less than a rebuild on a t56, compatible with almost all Nissan z32/33/34 clutches on the market, supposedly shifts butter smooth in factory form.

T56: can be expensive used or new (especially if looking at a magnum), tons of aftermarket support for upgrades, shifters and rebuilds, accepts any gm 26 spline clutch.

Both are a great transmission with their own little quirks and issues, but ultimately it comes down to your application and intent.
Old 07-17-2020, 09:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1969honda
Look thru the import forums. The 350z guys and the other variants of Nissan/Infiniti cars use them in all kinds of ls1/rb swaps. Toyota Supra guys are ditching r154s for them regularly as the v160 is so expensive. A brand new one from Curtousy Nissan is around $1600, just be sure if buying used you get an 06 or newer for the better synchros design. All that being said, they do hold a good amount if power and are cheap but the great rating aren't as great IMHO. Its a 6 speed with a steep first (3.48:1?) and only one cruising gear (6th). There is almost no aftermarket upgrade or rebuild parts either. I considered one of these for a while in a 240z I am building, but ultimately decided I liked the gearing of the T56 better

So​​​ in summary:

CD009: inexpensive, very tough and readily available used for even less than a rebuild on a t56, compatible with almost all Nissan z32/33/34 clutches on the market, supposedly shifts butter smooth in factory form.

T56: can be expensive used or new (especially if looking at a magnum), tons of aftermarket support for upgrades, shifters and rebuilds, accepts any gm 26 spline clutch.

Both are a great transmission with their own little quirks and issues, but ultimately it comes down to your application and intent.
Wish more came outta this thread. Does anyone have any experiences with the CD009? What kind of rear end gear ratio goes well with it. (I’ll be using it for drifting, if you have any experience with that, that’s just a bonus)

Has anyone ever used both? If you have anything at all to add to this I appreciate it.
Thanks

Quick Reply: CD009 dimensions vs. T56