Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Killing Slave Cylinders

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 11:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Killing Slave Cylinders

This is in a C5Z....Anyone ever have an issues where they keep eating slave cylinders. Car drives fine under day to day driving but if trying to shift under power it will actually break the slave physically. Any ideas? Have not measured any clearances yet. Stock slave, tick master and RXT.
Attached Thumbnails Killing Slave Cylinders-19399568_10208856475468879_2606750703319072081_n.jpg  
Old 06-25-2017, 12:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

Is the clutch disk center hub too long? I I've had a combination of too thick flywheel and too long of center in the disk stick in another type of throw out bearing...
Old 06-25-2017, 12:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

McLeod advises to use a stock MC with the RXT...The tick is larger bore and giving the slave more stroke than it needs
Old 06-25-2017, 11:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ******
McLeod advises to use a stock MC with the RXT...The tick is larger bore and giving the slave more stroke than it needs
First time it broke had a stock master in it. I replaced it with the tick because I thought I was the right thing to do if I was replacing the slave. Got less than 3miles of run time before it broke again
Old 06-29-2017, 07:25 AM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would say that you have a miss alignment going on in the clutch set up, but it would have to be pretty bad in order to break a slave cylinder. Did you pull together the transmission and bell housing with the bolts? It should always come together smoothly so never use the bolts to draw them together. Did you align the bell housing with a dial indicator? Did you properly measure for a slave shim?

I dont care what people on here say about not needing to align the bell housing. I called Tremec last week and spoke with a rep about it and he said its necessary 100% of the time when you are installing a Tremec transmission into any application. Search youtube for "aligning a t56 bellhousing".

Properly measuring for a shim is vital as well. I had too big of a shim in my set up and blew threw 2 slave cylinders. Although I didnt break mine like your, the seals on mine blew out. Tick has posted on this forum about how to do it properly.

Edit: just realized this is a C5Z and not an Fbody. Not sure if all the above info applies to Corvettes. I have no experience with them.

Quick Reply: Killing Slave Cylinders