Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Comparing shifters 4th gen f-body

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 07:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Good deal. I appreciate the offer but it will be easier for me to go pick that stuff up locally. Now is there a write up on how to do this for the fbody with the trans in the car? Basically I just need some pics or info on the best way to reach this thing, what needs to be moved to get at it, etc....
Now that I don't know, id pop off your shifter and make some room, you might be able to get to it from up top, it's been a while since I've had a camaro, but I remember the opening for the shifter being bigger than my C5. Try to reach it from underneath first up on ramps. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...venom-mod.html

That should help, it's for a corvette but the detente is in the same spot on both.

Also, sorry for hijacking the thread OP, if you find your Hinson shifter is too notchy, try the anti venom mod and see if it helps.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by whatsa347
Now that I don't know, id pop off your shifter and make some room, you might be able to get to it from up top, it's been a while since I've had a camaro, but I remember the opening for the shifter being bigger than my C5. Try to reach it from underneath first up on ramps. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...venom-mod.html

That should help, it's for a corvette but the detente is in the same spot on both.

Also, sorry for hijacking the thread OP, if you find your Hinson shifter is too notchy, try the anti venom mod and see if it helps.
Perfect thanks for the help! I've been doing some research, and no one has mentioned being able to get it from the top. Sounds easy enough from the bottom anyways, so I'll try that
Old 09-21-2017, 12:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Norbit2
How are peoples Hinson's shifters after they have had some time to "break in"? Do they get any smoother? Are they notching to the point of inhibiting shifting or just general feel? How easily can you downshift from 6 to 3?
The shifter itself performs great right out of the box. I have no problem getting it into any gears. It just has a notchy feel to it. Just a small complaint to white is probably my favorite mod I've done to any of the f-bodys I've owned.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like Hinson is the current favorite. Anyone try the Hawks Sinister yet? Its been out for a while now.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Just a FYI to any of you that want to try this Anti-Venom mod of your fbody Camaro. I tried it on a lift the other day, and while it is possible to get that detente bolt out, I can't really see a way to confidentially get it back in, due to where it's at. The only for sure way for me was to drop the trans a little, which involved dropping part of my exhaust which is welded.

Quick Reply: Comparing shifters 4th gen f-body