Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 bad random vibration

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 11:15 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 bad random vibration

1999 SLP SS, 58k miles, ls376/480 swapped, ram clutch rated for 500. The vibration is of a higher frequency and I can feel it in the shifter and pedal and if I hit the throttle while it's doing it it is linear and will vibrate the whole car. For ex I was backing out of a friends driveway yesterday and it did it and I noticed the speedo jumped to 10mph when standing still. The car does it in or out of gear and is intermittent. I have no idea what it is. I don't think it's pilot of input shaft bearings, what do y'all think?
Old 11-28-2017, 02:00 PM
Teching In

Edit* ram clutched rated for 550. And the vibration is not consistent. The clutch isn’t slipping, it’ll still handle a pull easily. It’s not the clutch master because it’ll still shift just fine. Kinda hard to shift though. Synchros are probably in decent shape. I mean the trans doesn’t have too many miles on it. But it’s possible. But I know what bad sychos do and sound like. This isn’t it.
Old 11-28-2017, 05:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Did you confirm the new RAM clutch (PP) balance matched your old one?

If this vibration just happened after your clutch swap, than balance because of the new clutch may be the issue if I understand your problem is a vibration with clutch in or out

or your motor or exhaust is now grounding on something
Old 11-28-2017, 06:44 PM
Teching In

It’s not a new swap. Everything was done 20k miles ago. I think when the clutch is pedal is pressed mostly. But it’s made the sound/vibration before while in neutral and just sitting there idling with the clutch pedal up.
Old 11-28-2017, 06:55 PM
Teching In

The fact that the speedo jumped while making the vibration has me stumped. Like it’s trying to engage. Could it be the slave? Or a bearing? Because like I said it’s random. So it’s hard to troubleshoot. As far as the vibration and sound, imagine the starter gear engaging out but not spinning while driving. Something similar to that. And has slowly gotten worse.SNL Performance took a ride with me and told me it could be trans mount. I tightened the hell out of it and it looked to be in good shape. Rubber is still perfect but that didn’t fix it. I didn’t pull the mount to inspect though.

Last edited by Tmann; 11-28-2017 at 07:01 PM.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:13 PM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Speedo reads off the output shaft. Tells me something is allowing the output shaft to rotate without the wheels turning. If you're lucky it's just the splines on the DS yoke.

Last edited by Darth_V8r; 11-29-2017 at 07:04 AM.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:44 PM
Teching In

If so, I’d have to take it to a shop, any idea how much of repair costs if that’s the case? I can still do pulls with the car though...

Last edited by Tmann; 11-28-2017 at 08:03 PM.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:09 AM

I honestly don't know, because it depends on the issue.

If it's just wheel hop making the car shake, you might just need to dial in your rear control arms and suspension. FWIW, wheel hop would show up on your speedometer.

if it's just the yoke, that's only a couple hundred.

If it's the output shaft, i'd probably just swap the transmission, because I've had too many bad experiences with patched up trannies. Really, though, once you take it to a shop, you're in for a 4-digit repair bill. You're probably looking at 1200 if it's internal ot the transmission, but that's just a WAG based on six hours just to pull the tranny, another hundred or two for inspection, assuming an output shaft and nothing else is wrong.

Here's a question -- if you drive like a douchebag (dumping the clutch and nailing it vs feathering) does it do it? Does it only do it when feathering the clutch?
Old 11-29-2017, 04:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
I honestly don't know, because it depends on the issue.

If it's just wheel hop making the car shake, you might just need to dial in your rear control arms and suspension. FWIW, wheel hop would show up on your speedometer.

if it's just the yoke, that's only a couple hundred.

If it's the output shaft, i'd probably just swap the transmission, because I've had too many bad experiences with patched up trannies. Really, though, once you take it to a shop, you're in for a 4-digit repair bill. You're probably looking at 1200 if it's internal ot the transmission, but that's just a WAG based on six hours just to pull the tranny, another hundred or two for inspection, assuming an output shaft and nothing else is wrong.

Here's a question -- if you drive like a douchebag (dumping the clutch and nailing it vs feathering) does it do it? Does it only do it when feathering the clutch?

no wheelhop whatsoever. Car is daily driver and not like a douchebag. I baby my car but drive it too. I’ve never even done a burnout in any of my cars (98 z28, 06 ctsv, 99 camaro ( this bad) and a 1970 camaro show Car). Wheelspin yes but wheelhop? Never once in that car. I always feather the clutch. It does it during feathering, in gear and out of gear, I even heard it momentarily when I was out of the car. I’m neutral with the clutch pedal out. Edit* the bar does not shake, it vibrates. Then the car will shift and drive just fine, then I’ll hear it randomly. It is not constant. I’d say If I took the car out for a 15 minute drive I may pick up on it 5 times. No notice in performance changes, no burning clutch smell.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:47 PM

I honestly think it’s internal to the transmission
Old 12-05-2017, 08:13 AM
Teching In

Swapped a prothane trans mount in. Seemed to fix it. *knock on wood * it drives a lot smoother and shifts smoother.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Tmann
Swapped a prothane trans mount in. Seemed to fix it. *knock on wood * it drives a lot smoother and shifts smoother.
Good! Most will say the stock one works better than prothane, but if it works fo ryou then great!
Old 12-05-2017, 05:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Sounds like the old mount was done allowing "grounding" resulting in the vibration.

Quick Reply: T56 bad random vibration