Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 6spd Manual Transmisson install into a Gbody

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 06:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Default T56 6spd Manual Transmisson install into a Gbody

Someone asked me if there was info about this so I figure this would help some people out.

Putting a T56 6spd into a Gbody is pretty simple and straighforward, not much to it, just like installing any other Transmission pretty much.

It's good to start with getting all the parts:

T56 6spd Transmission (LT1/LS1 Fbody or GTO Type)
Clutch, Flywheel, Pressure Plate, Pilot Bushing/Bearing
Clutch Pedal & Hydraulics
Shifter & Crossmember (several companies make one now for Gbodies)
Depending on what you have in the car you may need a driveshaft or work done to the current one you have if you do not want to buy a new one. It uses the standard GM 27 Spline Slipyoke

I bought and built up a low mileage (like 20k miles on it) Tremec T56 6spd Transmission. Along with it, I bought the GM LS7 Clutch Kit with ARP Flywheel Bolts., I have a 6.0l LS Engine in my car, you guys with the Gen 1 & 2 SBC just get the appropriate parts & LT1 Fbody style T56 Transmission.

Since most of these cars were factory automatic there is no factory Clutch Pedal that will work with this. You can buy one from the few people that build them, or you can build your own.

I installed the Master Cylinder on the fire wall like it would have come in a LS Fbody. Once I did this I built a Clutch Pedal using parts from an early 90's S10 Pedal. This seemed to work perfectly for the geometry and full movement of the Master Cylinder. The geometry and movement are critical in this case, it has to have full movement as straight as possible so the rod will not bind and bend.

$7 at the junkyard and a few hours of time I had a Clutch Pedal built..

I used a longer grade 8 bolt and mounted it next to the factory Brake Pedal. I cut the Brake Pedal down so it would clear the Clutch Pedal and use the proper size Pedal Pad..

I bought the T56 and got to the shop with it, then tore it down for inspection. Everything looked pretty much new but I always upgrade them..

Parts showed up a couple days after to build it with the LS7 Clutch Kit. If going LS buy a Speed Bleeder, they are worth it.

I re-built the T56 with the upgrades and it was ready for install..

Pilot Bushing installed and LS7 Flywheel was bolted to the back of the 6.0l..

LS7 Clutch Disc and Pressure Plate installed..

Slave Cylinder with Speed Bleeder mounted on the Transmission ready for install into the car..

T56 and Crossmember installed into the car and driveshaft installed..

The Shifter was then installed and the Center Console put back together. I made a custom Shifter Plate for my SS..

Then bleed the Clutch out and take it for a drive. Nothing much to it really and it's pretty fun to row gears with..

Couple pics for you guys of the car and setup..

Last edited by the_merv; 08-30-2016 at 06:19 PM.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:09 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I like it!

Hey, how is your K5 speedo guts mod working out? You beat me to trying that, and it makes perfect sense behind a 120mph face.

I pulled my mechanical linkage T56 earlier in the week so I can move on to something new.
Old 09-03-2016, 03:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude thank you for this, I am a novice when it comes to this stuff and it's nice to get someone that can guide us so we can have better knowledge on the subject.

This thread is much appreciated and will subscribe to it

I have a T56 and it seems as if I need to get the crossmember, the LS1/T56 hydraulic clutch linkage, correct? I have everything else. Any ideas on where or how to find these linkages that are not $200-350 used??? I will try to score one via a local junk yard

Old 09-06-2016, 05:06 PM
11 Second Club

I've never seen it all that high, just need a Master Cylinder and a Slave Cylinder with the line. I would install a Speed bleeder.

Originally Posted by jmd
I like it!

Hey, how is your K5 speedo guts mod working out? You beat me to trying that, and it makes perfect sense behind a 120mph face.

I pulled my mechanical linkage T56 earlier in the week so I can move on to something new.
Working perfectly..
Old 09-30-2016, 10:06 PM

Default clutch master help.....

hey man very nice setup I was wonder if you could help if possible I have a ls3/tr6060 going in my Malibu and was wondering if you could help me out with any pics you might have of the clutch master cylinder install, how and what position was it mounted for best results. would greatly appreciate it and thanks in advance ...
Old 12-05-2016, 10:30 PM
11 Second Club

I don't get on here much..but I have some info on that TR6060, if it was me I'd sell it and go T56, the TR6060 does not use a slip yoke, you would have to change the mainshaft and tail shaft of the transmission to put the shifter in the correct spot.

The LS1 Fbody Master Cylinder installs much easier than what is needed for the TR6060, here is a picture of where mine is behind the Brake Booster..

Old 12-07-2016, 07:14 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Great write up. one thing to add though is you can get a factory g body clutch pedal. The Malibu came with them. They are extremely hard to find factory, but afew aftermarket companies make them. That is what I used when I did my (foolish) t-5 swap.

Last edited by Surewhynot; 12-07-2016 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-09-2017, 10:46 AM
11 Second Club

Yea, I've seen the Malibu ones, you have to weld the little rod on them for the Hydraulic setup if that is what you go to, several people have used them.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:49 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by the_merv
Someone asked me if there was info about this so I figure this would help some people out.

Putting a T56 6spd into a Gbody is pretty simple and straighforward, not much to it, just like installing any other Transmission pretty much.

It's good to start with getting all the parts:

T56 6spd Transmission (LT1/LS1 Fbody or GTO Type)
Clutch, Flywheel, Pressure Plate, Pilot Bushing/Bearing
Clutch Pedal & Hydraulics
Shifter & Crossmember (several companies make one now for Gbodies)
Depending on what you have in the car you may need a driveshaft or work done to the current one you have if you do not want to buy a new one. It uses the standard GM 27 Spline Slipyoke

I bought and built up a low mileage (like 20k miles on it) Tremec T56 6spd Transmission. Along with it, I bought the GM LS7 Clutch Kit with ARP Flywheel Bolts., I have a 6.0l LS Engine in my car, you guys with the Gen 1 & 2 SBC just get the appropriate parts & LT1 Fbody style T56 Transmission.

Since most of these cars were factory automatic there is no factory Clutch Pedal that will work with this. You can buy one from the few people that build them, or you can build your own.

I installed the Master Cylinder on the fire wall like it would have come in a LS Fbody. Once I did this I built a Clutch Pedal using parts from an early 90's S10 Pedal. This seemed to work perfectly for the geometry and full movement of the Master Cylinder. The geometry and movement are critical in this case, it has to have full movement as straight as possible so the rod will not bind and bend.

$7 at the junkyard and a few hours of time I had a Clutch Pedal built..

I used a longer grade 8 bolt and mounted it next to the factory Brake Pedal. I cut the Brake Pedal down so it would clear the Clutch Pedal and use the proper size Pedal Pad..

I bought the T56 and got to the shop with it, then tore it down for inspection. Everything looked pretty much new but I always upgrade them..

Parts showed up a couple days after to build it with the LS7 Clutch Kit. If going LS buy a Speed Bleeder, they are worth it.

I re-built the T56 with the upgrades and it was ready for install..

Pilot Bushing installed and LS7 Flywheel was bolted to the back of the 6.0l..

LS7 Clutch Disc and Pressure Plate installed..

Slave Cylinder with Speed Bleeder mounted on the Transmission ready for install into the car..

T56 and Crossmember installed into the car and driveshaft installed..

The Shifter was then installed and the Center Console put back together. I made a custom Shifter Plate for my SS..

Then bleed the Clutch out and take it for a drive. Nothing much to it really and it's pretty fun to row gears with..

Couple pics for you guys of the car and setup..

what cross member is that?
Old 01-10-2017, 06:50 PM
11 Second Club

Jegs Double Hump for the 700R4
Old 10-08-2017, 01:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Anyway to host these elsewhere besides Photobucket? Their new license agreement stinks and no photos
Old 10-08-2017, 11:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 306 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by superbean
Anyway to host these elsewhere besides Photobucket? Their new license agreement stinks and no photos

I use Flickr...any of my old Photosuckit pics, If I want to post one, I transfer them to my computer and go from there...
Old 10-09-2017, 04:03 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Or just upload them here...to Tech, where the post is.
Old 03-10-2018, 11:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is LUK 04-905 the ls7? Why is it that other venders like tick performance etc have this ls7 clutch for like over $450 and they're actually selling luk 04-905 and i seen this part # clutch kit go for around $220
Old 03-10-2018, 12:30 PM
9 Second Club

LS7 clutch also requires a flywheel...unless you already have a suitable flywheel I think ?

And a genuine GM part will be more expensive than the aftermarket, if that's what some are selling ?
Old 03-10-2018, 12:35 PM
On The Tree

I think the LUK 04-905 comes with the flywheel already
Old 03-10-2018, 12:43 PM
9 Second Club

Seems a hell of a price ! ( as in a bargain )

No slave cylinder though...that would account for a decent price difference.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:58 PM
On The Tree

For the slave LUK LSC265B tick performance sells this one as gm for $138.99 and if u search this part # is actually like $40

Quick Reply: T56 6spd Manual Transmisson install into a Gbody