Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

HELP Clutch bleed/pedal issues!

Old 02-05-2018, 09:51 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HELP Clutch bleed/pedal issues!

Hello I just got done LS swapping my 86 Porsche 944 Turbo, in this Swap it uses a C5 bellhousing and a C5 throwout bearing/slave. This car has the same layout as a Corvette with Engine up front, trans in back, with torque tube in between of course. A bell housing adapter adapts from the Porsche torque tube and to the C5 bellhousing. All clutch components are BRAND NEW, Including lines, master, slave, everything. The clutch setup we are using are all McLeod stuff.

the part numbers are:
Flywheel............McLeod 460530
Clutch................McLeod 272561
Pressure Plate..McLeod 360803

the issues are clutch pedal not returning and doesn’t feel like much pressure on the pedal. The pedal is moving the slave I do see it moving, not sure if it’s supposed to travel more or not. We tried every single method in the book (that we know of) we tried power bleeding, old school bleeding by pumping clutch few times, holding pedal down then opening bleed screw and closing then repeat, we even tried giving it its own clutch reservoir by cutting open a bottle and attaching it to clutch master fluid supply line and raising it high up and doing the old school method and nothing...I can’t seem to see any bubble coming out anymore from bleed hose attatched to bleeder Nipple. Just super lost....please help.....any ideas what may be wrong or maybe somethings broken or setup incorrectly??

Old 02-06-2018, 03:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Hydraulic issues are the worst. I've dealt with a few over the years. Two things:
First, I used to bleed the clutch the same way you stated, pedal down, open valve, close, pump pedal, repeat. Until I was told to change my method by someone from McLeod IIRC. I was told to open valve with pedal in normal position, force pedal to floor, close valve, pump pedal, repeat.
Second, after a while I started using a mighty vac vacuum pump to bleed the system from the reservoir tank. You'd be surprised the air you can pull out after you think you've bleed it all. Figured it's worth a shot for your issue.
Old 02-06-2018, 03:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Hydraulic issues are the worst. I've dealt with a few over the years. Two things:
First, I used to bleed the clutch the same way you stated, pedal down, open valve, close, pump pedal, repeat. Until I was told to change my method by someone from McLeod IIRC. I was told to open valve with pedal in normal position, force pedal to floor, close valve, pump pedal, repeat.
Second, after a while I started using a mighty vac vacuum pump to bleed the system from the reservoir tank. You'd be surprised the air you can pull out after you think you've bleed it all. Figured it's worth a shot for your issue.
hmmm ok ok did that method work for you? and i dont think ive seen a bleeder thats vacuum on the reservoir.
Old 02-06-2018, 04:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1924
hmmm ok ok did that method work for you? and i dont think ive seen a bleeder thats vacuum on the reservoir.
It did when I tried it. However the last few times I swapped hydraulics or changed a clutch I used a mighty vac. Usually you can find one at your local auto parts store. The vac comes with several nozzles and one is small enough to fit into the bottom of the clutch fluid reservoir. Pump the vacuum a few times to pull vacuum on the line. I forgot the approximate amount of vacuum but I have read about 11-12lbs of vacuum. I just pump it til there is a about an inch or so of break fluid in the vacuum line. Be careful not to pull too much vacuum as I have read it can blow a seal. Let it sit for a few minutes and repeat. You may or may not have to do the next part...When there is vaccum on the line, you can slowly depress the clutch all the way and slowly let it return or manually return it slowly. If you search for clutch bleeding mighty vac on youtube you should find a few how-to's.

Last edited by ss.slp.ls1; 02-06-2018 at 04:21 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP Clutch bleed/pedal issues!