LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Manual Transmission (https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission-14/)
-   -   Rpm t56 vs magnum t56 (https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission/1896573-rpm-t56-vs-magnum-t56.html)

quiet_storm98 04-18-2018 11:06 AM

Rpm t56 vs magnum t56

So the time has come that i need to replace my t56. It grinds in 1st and 2nd gear and now its to the point that it isn't enjoyable to drive due to this. I have been looking at either the rpm stage IV or stage V but also have thrown around the idea of getting a t56 magnum. I know the magnum is stronger and many people claim it shifts smoother, even though personally having driven two tr6060 equipped camaros i didn't see much difference, but it is also more money and i still would have my old t56 sitting around which right now i dont have room for. My car makes 440 rwhp so a rebuilt t56 would handle that with no problem but i dont want to be questioning myself later as to whether or not i should have got a magnum. So a few questions...can i still use the same shifter i currently have with the magnum? Also i know you have to get the yoke on your ds changed out for a 31 spline unit, would i need to do anything else? Last what would you guys do? Spend about 4k for the magnum or go with a stage IV t56 for $2700 or a stage V for $3200?

BALLSS 04-18-2018 12:59 PM

I would just rebuild your current T56 in whatever "level" you feel you need...the IV, IMHO, would be enough for your power level....or just a good rebuild/refresh unless this is going to be a primary race car

quiet_storm98 04-18-2018 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by BALLSS (Post 19879824)
I would just rebuild your current T56 in whatever "level" you feel you need...the IV, IMHO, would be enough for your power level....or just a good rebuild/refresh unless this is going to be a primary race car

Yeah i think i may go this route after talking to a local shop.. They have had great success with a local trans shop that has rebuilt t56's for them. Its cheaper but of course will take a lil longer but im fine with that

stevieturbo 04-19-2018 03:39 PM

As above, if you'e happy with the T56, cheapest option is just to rebuild it. It will easily handle the power you have.

quiet_storm98 06-29-2018 03:14 PM

just wanted to give a little update on this...so I had a local trans shop take apart the t56 and it was pretty rough. Needed new synchros, bearings, etc. and apparently they said 5th and 6th gear were done. So the shop I had remove the trans ended up ordering a son of tranzilla from rockland standard gear. Couldn't find a lot about this trans recently but a lot of older threads seemed to praise it and best of all it came with a 1 year unlimited mileage warranty. It was $2700 and sure I could of spent $1500 more and got a magnum but currently closing on a house so I needed the extra money. So far I'm happy with it I just hope it holds up for a long time.

Floorman279 07-05-2018 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by quiet_storm98 (Post 19922553)
just wanted to give a little update on this...so I had a local trans shop take apart the t56 and it was pretty rough. Needed new synchros, bearings, etc. and apparently they said 5th and 6th gear were done. So the shop I had remove the trans ended up ordering a son of tranzilla from rockland standard gear. Couldn't find a lot about this trans recently but a lot of older threads seemed to praise it and best of all it came with a 1 year unlimited mileage warranty. It was $2700 and sure I could of spent $1500 more and got a magnum but currently closing on a house so I needed the extra money. So far I'm happy with it I just hope it holds up for a long time.

thats not too bad. id make sure you you got your old trans back......could still be worth a few bucks.

flintwrench69 07-10-2018 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by stevieturbo (Post 19880493)
As above, if you'e happy with the T56, cheapest option is just to rebuild it. It will easily handle the power you have.

I rebuilt mine, 2x. 1st time a level 2 kit from gearbox.org(most complete level2 kit available) bearing kit, new mainshaft & 5-6 cluster gear(both parts very commonly wear) & a T56 book. $1500 in parts only problem I added .002 too much shim to front of mainshaft & so input shaft was a lil harder to turn which burned up the input shaft gear & countershaft gear nicked. Why getting the preload right is so critical. So another $500 in parts but got mainshaft shimmed perfect. Input shaft turns easy & enough bearing preload. I just about could've bought a T56 magnum $3100 not the T56 Super magnum that's the $4k one. Still my 27 spline output shaft trans handles 513whp 482wtq no problem 6500 clutch dumps on 28 inch slicks drive it to the track & home

Originally Posted by quiet_storm98 (Post 19922553)

There was a guy selling a T56 magnum on Facebook Paid $3100 asking 2500 still in the crate direct fit for an Fbody too! Great deal wish I had the cash would handle a nice shot of spray!

stevieturbo 07-11-2018 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by flintwrench69 (Post 19928890)
. I just about could've bought a T56 magnum $3100 not the T56 Super magnum that's the $4k one.

When I asked Tremec about the super magnum, they told me the only difference was a 40T reluctor inside to match the FBody VSS trigger ( or whatever tooth count it uses )
Other than that it was same as any other Magnum ?

Not sure why it carries extra cost though...surely there would need to be more difference than that

quiet_storm98 07-11-2018 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Floorman279 (Post 19925864)
thats not too bad. id make sure you you got your old trans back......could still be worth a few bucks.

had to send my old one in as a core exchange

Originally Posted by flintwrench69 (Post 19928890)
There was a guy selling a T56 magnum on Facebook Paid $3100 asking 2500 still in the crate direct fit for an Fbody too! Great deal wish I had the cash would handle a nice shot of spray!

dang well its already too late I got the rebuilt t56 in and running