Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Whos taken the splines off the input shaft with an RXT?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 04:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 168 Likes on 119 Posts

I bought my RXT with a mcleod flywheel, suppose i could use that but it is used. Didnt have good luck the last time i had a billet steel flywheel resurfaced.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Looks like the clutch hubs are too loose of a fit onto the shaft thus allowing accelerated wear on both parts coming into contact with each other. Did you replace the shaft with an actual new LS1 input shaft or did you just replace it with another used pull out shaft?
Old 06-13-2018, 01:29 PM
TECH Resident

New tremec part
Old 06-13-2018, 08:26 PM
TECH Resident

Cant believe this has happened twice nevermind once. $900 in inputs so far and about to order another. Mcleod sponsors this forum and they dont have **** to say about this junk clutch, what a joke.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

after this I would like to pull mine and see what it looks like if it has spline ware at all there will be hell to pay
Old 06-14-2018, 10:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Some one needs to rethink this hub design, looks to me the hubs don't engage the shaft with enough area to transfer all that torque so it just wears out over time. Could probably increase the hub width quite a bit and still have room to work. I can see how the single clutch design hub would have a huge advantage as far as wear. Looks like the hubs are hard enough to wear the input shaft like that. Maybe not enough dampening on the discs.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:48 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Lots of clutches are made the same way....but dont have the same problem.

The problem is clearly McLeod.

But yes a multiplate of a better design would be good.

they're common in the JDM world, but strangely a rarity for much else. This design is superior in every way and in reality not even expensive ether. I've bought centre hubs for these, and even in rip of UK they're only around £110, so overall the cost to make a clutch like this should not be stupidly expensive.

Whos taken the splines off the input shaft with an RXT?-q1tdyyq.jpg
Old 06-14-2018, 11:10 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Perhaps McLeod could lengthen the hubs on the disks to use more of the available input shaft. Using the same center, and add beef rearwards for the rear disk and forwards for the front disk would help tremendously and there looks to be plenty of room to grow contact area with a deeper hub. The hub splines do look to be very sharp as well which probably helps with chatter, but looks to be eating up the input a little too easy.

Anyways something I been thinking about lately;Theres always gains to be had guys, I dont think our typical attitudes of love/hate is the way to assist our vendors in improving their products and engaging in public discussion.

If you aint breaking? You aint racing

Considering that fact, we all need to learn how to provide feedback with more sense and respect so its not so egg shelly and walls of silence will certainly come down.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:12 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
Some one needs to rethink this hub design, looks to me the hubs don't engage the shaft with enough area to transfer all that torque so it just wears out over time. Could probably increase the hub width quite a bit and still have room to work. I can see how the single clutch design hub would have a huge advantage as far as wear. Looks like the hubs are hard enough to wear the input shaft like that. Maybe not enough dampening on the discs.
dude... timing lol. Anyways did not see this before posting, but I too think this is the way to remedy this
Old 06-14-2018, 03:02 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by cam
Perhaps McLeod could lengthen the hubs on the disks to use more of the available input shaft. Using the same center, and add beef rearwards for the rear disk and forwards for the front disk would help tremendously and there looks to be plenty of room to grow contact area with a deeper hub. The hub splines do look to be very sharp as well which probably helps with chatter, but looks to be eating up the input a little too easy.

Anyways something I been thinking about lately;Theres always gains to be had guys, I dont think our typical attitudes of love/hate is the way to assist our vendors in improving their products and engaging in public discussion.

If you aint breaking? You aint racing

Considering that fact, we all need to learn how to provide feedback with more sense and respect so its not so egg shelly and walls of silence will certainly come down.
More engagement would be good, and yes there is no reason why there could not be more, especially when it's only a twin plate.

But I've used ACT twin plates before, which also had thin hubs...and never had any problems like that.

But if the hub is getting it's teeth sheared off and it's wrecking input shafts....that is a serious problem and warranty should be covering all that damage ! Especially when it's not an isolated case.

But absolutely there are better designs out there
Old 06-14-2018, 03:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

McLeod is very popular among the 5.0L Coyote crowd with the MT82 which uses a 23 spline shaft that isn't very stout to begin with. I can't think of a single issue where the disc prematurely wore into the shaft splines like this. Did you replace the disc when you replaced the shafts each time? Or did you reuse the disc with a new input shaft?
Old 06-14-2018, 03:48 PM
TECH Resident

The discs and the shaft were replaced the first time. Now the discs and shaft have to be replaced again. not to mention the first time this happended the input was fairly new (i swaped an lt t56 to an ls t56) so im already out 2 inputs.

Last edited by SLP IROC-Z; 06-14-2018 at 04:46 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

How long did it take for the new disc to chew through the new input shaft?

Once those hubs were worn, they are doing to chew through a new input shaft because of excessive wear allowing the them to rock on the shaft when on and off the throttle and at idle.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:08 PM
TECH Resident

The first time it happend with in a month because i was racing the car often. The second time maybe 10 track passes and 5000 easy street miles. Yeah i def wont try running these discs with a input. Ive really lost my faith in Mcleod, which sucks because i really liked this clutch except for this fatal flaw
Old 06-15-2018, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That’s just an insane amount of wear. Makes me wonder how my solid hub disc setup will look after a while.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would contact the better business bureau about this there ripping people off with that crap.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:34 PM
TECH Resident

Its definitely crossed my mind
Old 06-16-2018, 04:28 PM
TECH Resident

I think I may go for a Ram RTrack twin disc
Old 06-19-2018, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 240 Likes on 170 Posts

Wtf?
i fought with this RXT in my sons car for 15 months now.
Havent put more than 20 miles on it since they sent the new clutch .Now i get to look forward to ahit like this happening? This bitch coming back out.
Anyone wanna buy a basically brand new rxt?
Old 06-19-2018, 01:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SAPPER
Wtf?
i fought with this RXT in my sons car for 15 months now.
Havent put more than 20 miles on it since they sent the new clutch .Now i get to look forward to ahit like this happening? This bitch coming back out.
Anyone wanna buy a basically brand new rxt?
Just read your thread on yellowbullet, youve been threw hell dealing with that clutch huh? I started a thread on there its basically the same as this one. I even emailed mcleod with a link to this thread and they havent said a word to me about it. Looks like i have a 1200 dollar paper weight and 900 worth of input shafts as paper weights as well.

Quick Reply: Whos taken the splines off the input shaft with an RXT?