Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Whos taken the splines off the input shaft with an RXT?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 01:52 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

A lot of people do have success with these clutches, but no way in hell should this spline issue be happening and it absolutely should be a warranty issue, including subsequent damage !
Old 06-19-2018, 02:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 168 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
A lot of people do have success with these clutches, but no way in hell should this spline issue be happening and it absolutely should be a warranty issue, including subsequent damage !
I completely agree with you
Old 06-23-2018, 09:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SLP IROC-Z
I completely agree with you
I had same problem after getting T-56 / RXT in my LS conversion & nocked spilines off input shaft because I did not have proper engaugment in pilot bushing. The fit of pilot to pilot bushing (bearing) needs to be checked for proper engaugement without clutch. Just my 2 cents worth. Forgive me for my spelling - I need spell checker.
Old 06-24-2018, 12:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

Bad alignment of the trans/bellhousing/engine block, + input shaft into the pilot will ruin the splines in a hurry, my builder says probably half of all trans to engine alignment is wrong especially on aftermarket bell housings,, I know he spends a fair amount of time making sure the dowels are in right and he only uses solid ones..
Old 06-24-2018, 07:01 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Hmm alignment issues will surely cause a lot of grief. Mic check your input shaft ( the worn one ) and compare to new, check snout bearing. What bell you running? I have a QuickTime that has been excellent
Old 06-27-2018, 10:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 168 Likes on 119 Posts

not an alignment issue, ive owned this car since 2011 ive ran 2 ram vds clutches in it as well as an ls6 clutch, none of them had issues. Never had issues with eating the splines until i put the RXT in and its been drag raced since i bought it.
Old 06-30-2018, 05:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

That's insane that it keeps eating input shafts. Like in the other linked threads, I can only imagine it being a metallurgical thing if other hubs from other vendors are basically the same dimension and not experiencing the same failures. If alignment issues are ruled out, there's nothing left to point the finger at.
Old 06-30-2018, 12:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SLP IROC-Z
not an alignment issue, ive owned this car since 2011 ive ran 2 ram vds clutches in it as well as an ls6 clutch, none of them had issues. Never had issues with eating the splines until i put the RXT in and its been drag raced since i bought it.
Too much clutch. The RXT has way more torque capacity than the other two clutches, so it has the potential to hit the input shaft with way more impact/force. Looks like you exceeded what the splines could take. I doubt you have enough power to make the RXT slip as long as you need it to, so either soften it's hit or install a clutch that better matches the power that you make. Both are solutions that can make your car quicker than it is now.
Old 06-30-2018, 12:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

^^^some good points made here

multi disc clutches do hold more power (thus slip less if at all depending on HP and RPM clutch dump)….so everything "downstream" takes a bigger hit. The first thing downstream is input shaft although generally things like u joints, gears & axles take the hit first.

Given this has happened twice to OP....maybe adjust launch technique with his combo to reduce the hit everything downstream takes. McLeod has been around for a long time and makes a good product. Not saying the best but their clutches, including the RXT is in thousands and thousands of cars.

yeah OP has been through the ringer with this problem....My $.02 is examine launch RPM & clutch release timing...if everything holds something has to give. Ideally the tires but seems that is not happening in Op's case as the input shaft is taking the hit haedest
Old 07-03-2018, 02:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting......my RXT is starting to do the exact same thing to my liberty faceplated t56. Had a hell of a time getting the trans out of the car because the discs were hung up on the input, and when I got it out you can see wear marks like your although mine's not as bad yet. I'm making over 850rwtq in a heavy car though.....but still shouldn't be happening. I'll snap pics of my input tonight.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

The RXT is capable of hitting your input shaft with over 1000ftlbs, so don't be surprised that it can damage your splines. That holding power is what you paid for. It's not McLeod's fault when spline damage occurs, especially if you did the popular F-body "drill mod" which basically eliminates the oem buffer against instant engagement. It DOESN'T MATTER if the engine only makes 450ftlbs or 850ftlbs or whatever, it's still going to draw over 1000ftlbs when you dump it. Bottom line is- if you are going to run an RXT, you really need some some sort of buffer in place to control the hit.

The ClutchMaster's buffer is basically an adjustable version of the oem orifice restriction. The downside is that it also slows down the time it takes to re-apply power after a shift.

The Magnus buffer is also basically an adjustable version of the oem orifice restriction, except that it incorporates a bypass solenoid to eliminate the restriction on the shifts. Sounds like something good to speed up the shifts, until you realize that you are back to hitting the input shaft with over 1000ftlbs after a WOT shift.

The ClutchTamer is a selective buffer that allows instant pedal release/engagement, and only dampens excessively harsh clutch engagement on both launch and each shift. It does not slow down WOT shifts, it actually speeds up WOT shifts at the dragstrip by effectively shortening clutch pedal travel. Basically it eliminates the "deadband" part of the engagement cycle, so your foot does not have to move as far.

Grant
Old 07-04-2018, 03:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Hmm. Maybe different clutches differ in the micro-nanosecond range in how fast they transmit "X" amount of torque on a clutch dump. Or as in how many radians the flywheel and pressure plate rotate from the instant the throw out bearing no longer touches the fingers till the clutch is fully locked up. Or maybe even from the instant the throw out bearing starts moving back till locked up. We already know a specific car's slave cylinder is gonna travel rearward at the same speed no matter if the engine RPM is 200 or 200,00 (lol), which translates into the pressure plate moving the same speed regardless of engine RPM. Are we saying the RXT locks up faster enough than a more "ideal" one that it's putting engine torque to the splines with more force than the splines can take? Kind of like how dead hooking traction destroys 10 bolts vs a softer application of the same torque lets it live a little while? Which would mean Weedburners solution of slowing the clutch application would prevent this? Or lower the rpm and let the motor bog down a little and then accelerate?
Old 07-04-2018, 11:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

A clutch that is closely matched to hold the engine's power will pull down engine rpm at a slower rate. The more excess clutch capacity you have, the faster engine rpm will drop when you dump the clutch. That rpm drop indicates inertia energy exiting the rotating assy.

The rate that the clutch pulls down rotating assy rpm is what determines quantity/speed of inertia energy dumped into the input shaft, which is ultimately limited by the holding power of the clutch. More clutch holding power equals a faster pulldown rate, which in-turn means a bigger inertia energy release. The buffers mentioned in my earlier post temporarily reduce the clutch's ultimate holding power as a way to reduce that pulldown rate.

Grant
Old 07-04-2018, 12:34 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by weedburner
The RXT is capable of hitting your input shaft with over 1000ftlbs, so don't be surprised that it can damage your splines.
BULL ****

In no way whatsoever should the clutch be either damaging the input shaft or it's own hub splines even more so when most users are running far less and not even abusing the thing !
Old 07-04-2018, 01:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

BULL ****

In no way whatsoever should the clutch be either damaging the input shaft or it's own hub splines even more so when most users are running far less and not even abusing the thing !
Most users don't have enough traction to reach the RXT's ultimate capacity.

Grant
Old 07-04-2018, 01:25 PM
9 Second Club

Most users don't have enough traction to reach the RXT's ultimate capacity.

Grant
And again, nonsense

Many could easily apply in excess of 1000lbft with traction at high speeds....and will do.

They may not do it in 1st gear...or maybe even 2nd. But 3rd...4th...5th over 1/4, 1/2 mile, mile, whatever.

You may be here to try and sell your clutch slipper, that's fair enough but to say that in any way a clutch stripping it's own splines and that of the inputs is in any way expected or normal because it's a strong clutch is just nonsense.

it's ripping the teeth because the clutch is **** and made incorrectly. Why it's **** is a mystery when other clutch makers dont have it happen...which again proves it is their problem, not a generic problem or power/torque related.
Old 07-05-2018, 03:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

And again, nonsense

Many could easily apply in excess of 1000lbft with traction at high speeds....and will do.

They may not do it in 1st gear...or maybe even 2nd. But 3rd...4th...5th over 1/4, 1/2 mile, mile, whatever.
If the "many" actually did have enough power/traction to hit the limit of the RXT at speed, they either would not be using it or would be looking for more clutch.

Even with the OP's 435 to the wheels, with enough traction the input shaft will see the full limit of an un-buffered RXT after launches and WOT shifts.
Old 07-05-2018, 03:41 PM
9 Second Club

If the "many" actually did have enough power/traction to hit the limit of the RXT at speed, they either would not be using it or would be looking for more clutch.

Even with the OP's 435 to the wheels, with enough traction the input shaft will see the full limit of an un-buffered RXT after launches and WOT shifts.

Which would be a pathetically low amount of torque unable to do any harm, relatively speaking.
Old 07-05-2018, 03:53 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I can attest to 450ish rwhp being enough to cause mass carnage. There is not much I havent broken with that kind of power. Low profile drag radials are especially brutal on drivetrain parts with a stick

A bit of wheel spin on take off makes all the difference. Matt Walter has it figured out well. You can see how much wheel spin to aim for here

Old 07-05-2018, 04:05 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by cam
I can attest to 450ish rwhp being enough to cause mass carnage. There is not much I havent broken with that kind of power. Low profile drag radials are especially brutal on drivetrain parts with a stick

A bit of wheel spin on take off makes all the difference. Matt Walter has it figured out well. You can see how much wheel spin to aim for here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLwlpXasJBI
You've stripped the splines off a T56 input shaft with only 450hp ?

I've put double that and more through mine with various clutches and caused no harm whatsoever.

Quick Reply: Whos taken the splines off the input shaft with an RXT?