Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Hawk's Shifter and knob/boot conversion.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 02:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hawk's Shifter and ****/boot conversion.

So I recently bought and installed hawk's 5th gen **** and boot conversion(eBay had a coupon) and just wanted to post up some pics. I did wrap the chrome trim ring in black vinyl. I already had their shifter installed.The shifter install was straightforward other than me having to disassemble the stock shifter and stick a screwdriver in the hole for leverage to get the baseplate, that was attached with must have been construction adhesive, off. After using it for a couple months, I can say that its an okay shifter. The shifts are smooth and definitely shorter, not as short as i expected but shorter nonetheless. This is coming from the stock hurst shifter with a UMI short stick, which is great if you're on a budget. My only gripe is that while the 3-5 return is great, the 1-3 return is nonexistent, you pull the stick left and it stays there. Annoying, but I didn't think it warranted a return. It also has adjustable stops. With the new **** and boot, the stick has a flat spot and a screw that keeps the **** in place. No more **** spinning while shifting hard. You do have to do some cutting to install, but they have a great video on their website.

Old 06-17-2018, 06:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

Looks nice! Good review. Thank you.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How hard was it to cut off the 5th gen ring and then attach it to the 4th gen ring?
Old 06-20-2018, 01:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty easy.I made multiple cuts all around the 5th gen ring with a small wire cutter and broke off piece by piece. Then you just line up the 4th gen ring, mark the cuts and use a sharp razor or knife and make small cuts and push the clips through.

Quick Reply: Hawk's Shifter and knob/boot conversion.