Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch Disc Contaminated With Brake Fluid...Anyone Ever Salvage One?

Old 07-05-2018, 03:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Clutch Disc Contaminated With Brake Fluid...Anyone Ever Salvage One?

Long story short, I'm chasing an oil leak and I was just SURE it was my rear main seal or cover and pulled the transmission the other day to replace the rear main cover. NOPE, bone dry. I've got a Tick Stage 2 T56 rebuild, Tick adjustable master cylinder, Tick remote bleeder, and Monster Stage 2 clutch all with less than 2K miles. I won't go into the details, but I did something careless and stupid on the reassembly and when we went to try it all out, I burst the seal on my slave cylinder and it got brake fluid on the clutch disc. It sat on there for around 12-14 hours until we had time to come back and take it all back apart again yesterday and see what the damage was. Sure enough, there were some dark spots on the clutch disc that had been contaminated by the brake fluid. I used almost a whole can of brake cleaner on it and it actually looks like it came pretty clean. I still had my original slave cylinder, so we just swapped it back in and put everything back together with the cleaned disc. I drove it home and it seems fine.

I KNOW I should have replaced the disc, but I don't have the money at the moment, but I do have the time and a friend with a lift, so if it starts to slip, I'll replace it. We've got it down to around 4-5 hours for a clutch swap after yesterday.

Has anyone successfully cleaned a clutch disc and it actually survive?

Oh, and it looks like my oil leak is going to be my oil pan gasket...joy...
Old 07-05-2018, 09:20 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I havent had a disc contaminated by brake fluid, but I have had it contaminated with gear oil. It was soaked on one side. The input shaft seal went bad and who knows how long it was soaking. I hosed it down with brake cleaner and its lived 8000 plus miles.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:38 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Surewhynot
I havent had a disc contaminated by brake fluid, but I have had it contaminated with gear oil. It was soaked on one side. The input shaft seal went bad and who knows how long it was soaking. I hosed it down with brake cleaner and its lived 8000 plus miles.
Thanks! That's encouraging! Monster got back to me and will sell me a new disc for $250 if I send the old one back. They only sell parts of a clutch kit if you were the original purchaser. I may try to ride it out a while and see if it does OK. I do less than 1K miles per year, but I would like to take it on the Hot Rod Power Tour next year!

Old 07-07-2018, 12:18 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I just got back from power tour with the car. I still have the contaminated clutch in the car, still holding.
Old 07-07-2018, 03:39 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

I wouldnt worry about it.
Old 07-10-2018, 03:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Question: How were you able to confirm?
Mine has fluid leaking from the bottom of the bellhousing, but cant tell if its oil or just dirty break fluid from going through the bellhousing.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:23 AM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

rub it between your fingers. Brake fluid is ******* horrible. Oil is oil.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:59 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BigBadWhitey
Question: How were you able to confirm?
Mine has fluid leaking from the bottom of the bellhousing, but cant tell if its oil or just dirty break fluid from going through the bellhousing.
...took the whole transmission out again to fix the blown slave cylinder, and pulled the clutch disc out again to inspect.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default release bearing fix

Originally Posted by Surewhynot

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clutch Disc Contaminated With Brake Fluid...Anyone Ever Salvage One?