Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

MGW + T56 Magnum

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 12:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Question MGW + T56 Magnum

I just put an MGW on my new T56 Magnum. I haven't started up the car yet (mid-build), but the centering springs feel excessively strong. I realize that is kind of MGW's calling card (strongest centering springs), but I am wondering if there is something in the Magnum transmission that is redundantly already performing this function? I have seen people move the MGW/T56 shifter with their fingers, and that is nearly impossible with how stiff this setup is side-to-side. I have to twist my whole torso, especially to get it into the 5/6 gates.

I am hoping this will loosen up over time, or perhaps when the car is running. I did the one-washer antivenom mod, and the front-back motion feels to be the perfect level of notchiness. I will drive the car for its first 500 miles this way. If I cannot get used to it, I will look into weaker centering springs. I have seen this done on Vette MGWs, but has anyone ever opened up an F-body MGW?
Old 07-11-2018, 09:56 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How is it a month later?
Old 07-11-2018, 12:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The car is still waiting on a rear axle from MWC. This is one small part in a very big build, so I won't be driving it for some months. I play around with the shifter each time I sit in the car, so I have gotten used to it a bit more and the springs have also relaxed some with mild use. It may be livable as a daily driver, but I will have to wait and see.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:26 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The TR6060 line includes the Magnum. Instead of force-shunting the shifter to the center gate with a horizontal detent, these use a single indexing groove so it will stay in 3-4 once there. And a vertical detent is used to click into each gear, fore, and aft.

No need for the springs in your case. MGW has not been up to date in quite some time.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:11 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

One think about my Magnum ( F Converted ), was that the centering action was very strong compared to any box I've had before.

So if you add to that a shifter which also has some strong springing...I'd say it would actually be pretty annoying.

Quick Reply: MGW + T56 Magnum