Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

TR6060 getting new blocker rings and fork pads: special tools? hard parts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 06:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default TR6060 getting new blocker rings and fork pads: special tools? hard parts?

I've got a TR6060 from a 2010 Camaro that will be going into my LS swap BMW E39 and It has the "grind when going into 2nd at high RPM" issue. As such, my plan is to install hybrid blocker rings on 1,3,4,5,6 and a full carbon fiber ring on #2 along with the bronze fork pads prior to installing it in the car. I do have some questions I was hoping this board could help answer:

I see where the online Tremec parts vendors offer a snap ring / retainer kit for the TR6060 and that the repair manual states that the rings should be replaced. This trans has 45,000 miles on it so is it necessary to replace the retainers? Are they a one-time use like torque to yield bolts?

The same vendors offer a shim kit. Will additional or different shims be necessary for just replacing the blockers?

Lastly, what specialty tools are a must-have? Can generic equivalents be used successfully.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to provide information to this manual trans repair newb!
S.F.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:31 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Snap and lock rings are reusable unless damaged. Inspect, and skip if in good shape. The TR6060 got the problem location lock rings replaced with half moon pairs with ring retainers as a strength upgrade anyway.

Pick up individual shims at the dealer parts counter if needed. Tremec dealers will have ctrshaft or mainshaft sets, not singles. The blockers have nothing to do with preload/endplay numbers.

You probably won't need any bearings. A long puller is handy, extending with straps of steel is acceptable. The T56 manual will get through the fun stuff, and there should be a walk through in the stickies here?
Old 08-09-2018, 06:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jmd
Snap and lock rings are reusable unless damaged. Inspect, and skip if in good shape. The TR6060 got the problem location lock rings replaced with half moon pairs with ring retainers as a strength upgrade anyway.

Pick up individual shims at the dealer parts counter if needed. Tremec dealers will have ctrshaft or mainshaft sets, not singles. The blockers have nothing to do with preload/endplay numbers.

You probably won't need any bearings. A long puller is handy, extending with straps of steel is acceptable. The T56 manual will get through the fun stuff, and there should be a walk through in the stickies here?
jmd,

thank you for all that information, I really appreciate it! I found the walkthrough thread and i'll follow it as well. Unfortunately it looks like the photos are MIA, probably another thread ruined by photobucket…

S.F.
Old 09-03-2018, 07:31 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Update?
Old 09-12-2018, 07:23 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jmd
Update?
Almost done but Ive got a couple questions. PM sent!

S.F.