Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Pulsing clutch pedal

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 09:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulsing clutch pedal

Put in a diamond stage 2 clutch, new McLeod flywheel, new luk slave. All was well except I had a leak in the bellhousing soak my clutch and it started to chatter. Replaced the disc and plate and had the flywheel resurfaced. Machine shop claimed the flywheel was far from flat and needed a good about of work to true it up. He didn’t believe my chatter would have Warped the flywheel to the extent it was off. I put it all back together and while the chatter is gone, there is a vibration in the clutch pedal. It feels like pulsing brakes on warped rotors. I only feel it on the first few inches of pedal travel. Once the pedal goes down a few Inches it stops pulsing and engagement/disengagement all feels fine. I don’t know what causes this or where to look. It’s all apart now, looking for advice on what to look into. It’s an LS t56. Thanks
Old 08-09-2018, 10:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Your FW is either not bolted flush to crank or is uneven surface.

or the new disc is warped

I had a brand new billet FW do the same thing. Had a machine shop check it out and it was "slightly" not flat surface and a minimal resurface took care of it

same thing as you. just pushing the pedal you felt it for the first 1" or so of travel than it was fine. When I pulled the clutch out you could clearly see 1/2 of the FW & PP were engaging initially from the witness heat marks
Old 08-10-2018, 04:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Considering it didn’t do this before the flywheel was resurfaced, and he claimed that it wasn’t flat - my bet is that the flywheel WAS flat but the “machine shop” loaded it wrong and screwed it up. You’re gonna have to take this back apart to verify - and make sure you take it to a different shop this time.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:09 PM
TECH Veteran

^^^^^
Old 08-10-2018, 09:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My gut was telling me the exact same thing. That it WAS flat and he loaded it wrong. Hearing someone say that their flywheel caused the same exact problem makes me happy. I’m going to replace the flywheel. It’s all apart already.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:25 AM
TECH Veteran

I also noticed that vibration caused my RMS to leak. Its fine after the FW fix