Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T-56 Tail housing leak?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 03:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default T-56 Tail housing leak?

hey guys, I have a small leak coming from my tail housing, its a decent leak, those spots are 3 different times driving, with the smallest one being the most recent. (pictures below) it happens after i drive it and drips slightly over the night. I can't seem to track where this is coming from, it has trans fluid around some bolts but not sure if its residual. The left bolt in the second picture is where it looked like it was coming from mostly, then making it way to the middle where it drips from. Thinking of tightening them or bad idea?

Old 11-20-2018, 08:49 AM
On The Tree

UPDATE: yesterday I cleaned the surrounding area and had it on, lifted the rear wheels and let it run in 1st gear for about 30 minutes and Occasionally 2nd gear. Not a drop of fluid. Maybe something wrong with the vent tube or maybe it happened because I just recently started driving it regularly and it needed to get fluid on all the seals?
Old 11-22-2018, 07:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Usually a rear leak is from either the tailhousing seal, or a damaged tailhousing bushing, I have also seen them leak from the shifter base plate and run down the transmission and look like it’s from the tailhousing seal, also is your driveshaft yoke in good shape as in a smooth sealing surface, some also have plugs in the yoke at the end of the splines by the ujoint that oil can seep out of.

Another note is if you jacked up only the rear of the car you effectively tilted the car forward causing the oil in the transmission to go to the front of the transmission, probably why you didn’t see any leaks in that condition, all the transmission oil is in the front of the transmission housing.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:06 PM
On The Tree

Alright, i will look up replacing those, do you recommend OEM or another brand? Would you replace both while in there? Driveshaft is good, and its not the shifter. On the other note.. I didn't even think about that, very true. I took it out today and came back to the same 10 drops or so...seemed like it was coming up high enough to where I couldn't see and the trans mount was blocking, is that usually where it is? Will post pictures in a minute.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

It looks like it comes all down from left of the drain sign is covered, and you can see the drop at the bottom, the car was on jacks at this point. However its not coming from the shifter, is this where one of the seals typically leak from?
Old 11-27-2018, 06:44 PM
On The Tree

How can I tell if its just the outside gasket seal or the bushing? or both? Also can you get the part from auto zone or such? I read on previous posts about trouble finding the part numbers and such.
Old 11-29-2018, 06:49 PM
On The Tree

nothing....?
Old 11-29-2018, 09:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by GHall8788
How can I tell if its just the outside gasket seal or the bushing? or both? Also can you get the part from auto zone or such? I read on previous posts about trouble finding the part numbers and such.
The extension housing doesn't use a gasket. As for the bushing and seal, we are the only ones I know of that offers the actual correct bushing for the 27 spline extension housing. Some shops will use a TH350 bushing but it requires work on it to make it fit properly. Our bushing is a direct fit providing you use the proper removal and installation tools. We also recommend freezing the bushing for at least an hour before installing it. This will shrink it a little bit so it will push in easier. Once it warms up, it will expand to its original size. Warming up the extension housing also helps when installing the new bushing as well.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:38 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

If the yoke has no apparent wobble by hand, throw a seal in. Easy to drive in with a cylindrical flat faced driver, cheap, and takes little time to do.

The oil grooves in the extension housing keep bushing installation far from being easy. A honed one is one way to go if it needs one. The reg. size bushings can be made to work, but that's another lengthy story.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:35 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the input guys, interesting about freezing the seal, never thought of that, thats awesome. So check this out... I finally had some time to get underneath the car today and noticed that it was dry near the vent tube, seals, etc, so i got my mirror and looked around.. there was a complete missing bolt at the top passenger side. It seems that there is like a top trans bump stop that was hooked to it as well. ( you can see it in the picture, first one is the missing one, second the drivers side thats in. I remember hearing something like a bolt under my car when i had it out to go eat, I stopped and saw nothing so I figured maybe i ran something over, I guess that was it. SO FIRST QUESTION, what would have caused this? improper torque? second, who has bolt specs on this? I don't want to pull another one that has sealant just to find sizing ( assuming there all the same). Third, Im assuming I just screw the new one in and tighten the bracket back against it, add sealant? or rtv after the fact? Also i will look around but whats the torque specs if you happen to know them? I thought it was 28 if I remember correctly.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:37 PM
On The Tree

Old 11-30-2018, 09:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the input guys, interesting about freezing the seal, never thought of that, thats awesome.
Don't freeze the seal, freeze the bushing if you plan on replacing it.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:20 PM
On The Tree

I would, but it doesn't seem to be the bushing.
Old 12-01-2018, 07:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would, but it doesn't seem to be the bushing.
Its possible the leak is not coming from the rear. It could be coming from a cracked vent tube on top.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

look at the pictures, its a missing bolt. installing tomorrow
Old 12-11-2018, 09:37 PM
On The Tree

problem fixed, thanks for the help/