Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

CTS-V T56 converted to GTO/F-Body

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 04:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CTS-V T56 converted to GTO/F-Body

Hey Guys,

I recently picked up a 2006 CTS-V T56 cheap that needs a bit of love. I haven't had a chance to really take it apart to figure out what's wrong with it but she doesn't like to shift and the input/output spin very hard. Either way before I dig into it I would like to gain more knowledge on converting it to a splined output shaft. I've read multiple threads on here including the 1000hp SSR build.
So the parts I know I for sure need are:
GTO Main shaft
GTO / F-body tail housing
But then other threads say you need an F-body shift rail that's modified to run the reverse lockout solenoid and another thread says he modified the CTS-V shift rail.
I'm just looking for a bit of clarification on what is all needed.

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-20-2019, 06:14 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The shafts are hardened and have roll-pin holes so the offset lever that activates the rev. lockout solenoid and guide lever are held in place.

Essentially, copying the F-body / GTO setup will make sense if you have the rebuild PDF, the 1000hp SSR build article in front of you, and the trans. disassembled w/ the new parts in front of you.

Drilling the shafts is tough going; stick w/ the F-body / GTO setup instead of adapting the V shaft, which requires an extra shaft anyway.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:10 AM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Im sure you know this already but the GTO and CTSV have much shorter gearing 1st - 3rd. I didnt think it would be a huge difference, but at the drag strip it feels like you have to shift immediately after you launch. IMO it hurts ETs with those short gears, and the bigger drop in RPM going into 4th. Around town you can just take off in 2nd, 1st feels pointless in an fbody. I can see how it would really help with the heavier cars though.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Definitely better off swapping the shift rail over trying to modify yours.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 148 Likes on 96 Posts

If you have the $ dump it.... and buy a T56 Magnum. Better grade steel on all the internals, smoother shifting, the case weighs 4lbs more from ribbing/bracing, 31 spline output shaft.... and most importantly.... the parts are available. The Corvette/GTO internals are the most costly of the older T56's out and many of the components are becoming obsolete.... no longer made by Tremec/not a priority with unknown backfill times to fulfill pending orders. There are a handful of the T56 Magnums behind 2JZ 1400rwhp+ setups shifting at 10K RPM. They are the real deal. I'm making about 1200rwtq on mine... never an issue.... 100% stock trans.... 7500rpm+ shift points WOT even into 5th gear.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:48 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies and info guys. I’ll probably tear into it this weekend and see if I need any hard parts. This will be used behind an ls6 in an s13 240sx, I probably won’t be doing much drag racing and am planning on being a bit over 400rwhp. I like the idea of theT56 magnum because it would probably holdup to the spirited driving this set up will see but it’s a bit out of my range at the moment. As far as the gearing goes I will probably change my rear gear to help compensate as the factory rear gear is 4.08.

Thanks for all the info guys