Notices
Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LT1 T56 on LS1

 
Old 03-18-2019, 12:19 PM
  #1  
TECH Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
landstuhltaylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: CBUS
Posts: 1,119
Default LT1 T56 on LS1

Just posting this up so that people know there is another option. Front plate is not modified, input shaft has not been touched. Modern Driveline adapter bracket with a jack screw to set height and a Tilton bearing. McLeod pilot bushing to make up for the difference in input shaft length. My specific clutch splines do line up with the M29 input shaft splines so there should be no issue there.

landstuhltaylor is offline  
Old 03-23-2019, 08:32 AM
  #2  
Teching In
iTrader: (13)
 
red95T/A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: CO
Posts: 32
Default

Are you going to use an LS bell housing? What do you do about the input shaft being to short/ pilot bearing?
red95T/A is offline  
Old 03-23-2019, 08:36 AM
  #3  
Teching In
iTrader: (13)
 
red95T/A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: CO
Posts: 32
Default

I have an opportunity to buy an LT1 T56 for 150.00 but by the time I buy all the swap parts I could buy an LS version. I have done the LS swap on a nv3500 but seems like the LT T56 is different from what I have read.
red95T/A is offline  
Old 03-23-2019, 08:48 AM
  #4  
On The Tree
iTrader: (3)
 
Mgill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NEPA
Posts: 123
Default

Originally Posted by red95T/A View Post
I have an opportunity to buy an LT1 T56 for 150.00 but by the time I buy all the swap parts I could buy an LS version. I have done the LS swap on a nv3500 but seems like the LT T56 is different from what I have read.
Should have jumped on it for $150. Input shaft is $150, mid plate $275, and bell housing $250. That ends up being much cheaper than any ls1 t56 I've found. I'm currently doing that swap now. Got an lt1 t56 for $700. The trans just can't be from a 93, then it gets complicated.

Last edited by Mgill; 03-23-2019 at 08:55 AM.
Mgill is offline  
Old 03-23-2019, 02:45 PM
  #5  
TECH Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
landstuhltaylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: CBUS
Posts: 1,119
Default

Originally Posted by red95T/A View Post
Are you going to use an LS bell housing? What do you do about the input shaft being to short/ pilot bearing?
I am reusing the bellhousing from my existing LS1 T56. The Mcleod pilot bushing 8617 makes up for the difference in input shaft length if you install it with the smaller diameter on the transmission side. It sits in the larger diameter portion of the crank which is already closer to the trans, and is then 0.400" longer than the stock pilot on top of that.
landstuhltaylor is offline  
Old 03-23-2019, 05:01 PM
  #6  
TECH Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
landstuhltaylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: CBUS
Posts: 1,119
Default


landstuhltaylor is offline  
Old 03-24-2019, 06:58 AM
  #7  
Teching In
iTrader: (13)
 
red95T/A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: CO
Posts: 32
Default

So with the throw out bearing you are using and the pilot bearing the only thing I would have to change would be the bell housing right?!
red95T/A is offline  
Old 03-24-2019, 07:08 AM
  #8  
Teching In
iTrader: (13)
 
red95T/A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: CO
Posts: 32
Default

Do you have part numbers for the pilot, throw out bearing and slave you are using?
red95T/A is offline  
Old 03-24-2019, 07:35 AM
  #9  
TECH Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
landstuhltaylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: CBUS
Posts: 1,119
Default

I am using all LS1 clutch hydraulics. The throwout bearing is something I worked on with Modern Driveline and has some of their own specific parts that you can only order through them. I would advise contacting Paul Coffey at extension 4000 or [email protected] as he is who I dealt with on this and was very familiar with what I was doing.

Tick master setup with a 3/4" Tilton master instead of the normal 7/8" (this would depend on what clutch you use)
Tilton 6000 series throwout bearing, 44mm piston, with a threaded collar and the McLeod adapter plate (I believe it's the Tilton 60-6231 but not 100% sure, MD took care of it)
McLeod 8617 pilot bearing
Quartermaster Optimum RR 7.25" twin disk clutch
LS1 bellhousing
LT1 M29 T56

That's the entire setup that is on the car. You will need to measure the clutch stack height in order to determine what height the release bearing needs to be. I had to use the small diameter 44mm piston instead of their normal setup because of the small diameter clutch. The complete throwout bearing assembly complete with lines and remote bleeder came to $420. It may not be the cheapest way to go but it was my only rules-compliant option to get shorter gearing in the car.

A lot of these parts that are on that list were already in the car with the LS1 T56. The only changes are the pilot, throwout bearing assembly, and the LT1 T56.

Last edited by landstuhltaylor; 03-24-2019 at 07:48 AM.
landstuhltaylor is offline  
Old 04-14-2019, 11:07 PM
  #10  
Teching In
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 6
Default 97 t56

Originally Posted by landstuhltaylor View Post
I am using all LS1 clutch hydraulics. The throwout bearing is something I worked on with Modern Driveline and has some of their own specific parts that you can only order through them. I would advise contacting Paul Coffey at extension 4000 or [email protected] as he is who I dealt with on this and was very familiar with what I was doing.

Tick master setup with a 3/4" Tilton master instead of the normal 7/8" (this would depend on what clutch you use)
Tilton 6000 series throwout bearing, 44mm piston, with a threaded collar and the McLeod adapter plate (I believe it's the Tilton 60-6231 but not 100% sure, MD took care of it)
McLeod 8617 pilot bearing
Quartermaster Optimum RR 7.25" twin disk clutch
LS1 bellhousing
LT1 M29 T56

That's the entire setup that is on the car. You will need to measure the clutch stack height in order to determine what height the release bearing needs to be. I had to use the small diameter 44mm piston instead of their normal setup because of the small diameter clutch. The complete throwout bearing assembly complete with lines and remote bleeder came to $420. It may not be the cheapest way to go but it was my only rules-compliant option to get shorter gearing in the car.

A lot of these parts that are on that list were already in the car with the LS1 T56. The only changes are the pilot, throwout bearing assembly, and the LT1 T56.



wondering what flywheel you used on this set up, got a 97 camaro t56 and also could i use just a plain regular clutch instead of a fancy twin or other triple stacks clutches that cost thousands of dollars, just want to drive n not be racing
louieace1 is offline  
Old 04-16-2019, 01:32 AM
  #11  
TECH Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 484
Default

Have you got a chance to run this LTx box behind and LSx yet? Very interesting.
ElQueFør is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: