Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Aftermarket mainshaft?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Aftermarket mainshaft?

So it looks like my mainshaft is toast, due to a bad bearing. Has anyone ever run an aftermarket one? I'm making about 450rwhp, but have plans to up it to 550 later on.

here's the carnage, just for fun.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

That is a bearing journal but the rollers do not ride directly on it so as long as the bearing fits snugly on it after cleaned up, it is probably reusable. However, if you decided to replace it, our shaft should hold up fine.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe you can give me a bit of insight then. I thought the bearing wasnt supposed to fit snugly on that journal. Every how to and video I saw said that bearing was supposed to just slide off.

What happened to me was that since th bearing failed, it locked itself onto the mainshaft. Since it was sitting directly against first, it applied enough force on the gear to turn the gear. Effectively acting like a permanent synchro and causing me a host of shifting issues. Hence the teardown.

However, if I do need a new shaft, how would I go about ordering one from you?
Old 05-24-2019, 07:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 879 Posts

https://ampdistributing.com/collecti...d-transmission
Old 05-26-2019, 12:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by HappySalesman
Maybe you can give me a bit of insight then. I thought the bearing wasnt supposed to fit snugly on that journal. Every how to and video I saw said that bearing was supposed to just slide off.

What happened to me was that since th bearing failed, it locked itself onto the mainshaft. Since it was sitting directly against first, it applied enough force on the gear to turn the gear. Effectively acting like a permanent synchro and causing me a host of shifting issues. Hence the teardown.

However, if I do need a new shaft, how would I go about ordering one from you?
Have you tried polishing that out to see if the bearing will slide on and off properly? I've seen a lot worse used with proper clean up work but new shafts aren't overly expensive either so its your call.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

My main concern is that I had sent this shaft out to TDP to have them fix the 5-6 journals. Since they ship it back a couple of thousandths bigger than factory I had to press the bearing past the journals, and I'm a little concerned that's what cause the bearing to fail initially. The only other thought i have is that I somehow pressed 5-6 on too hard (by hand somehow) and it caused the inner race of the bearing to mushroom.