Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters
View Poll Results: Is the Spec Stage 2+ LS Clutch ...
Poor quality - spring is way too high rate
100.00%
Normal - all LS stage 2+ are like that
0%
Other - please let me know
0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Spec Stage 2+ Clutch efforts way too high

Old 06-06-2019, 11:23 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spec Stage 2+ Clutch efforts way too high

Hey all..

I put in a Spec Stage 2+ clutch in my pals 2006 GTO - its a nice ride and all was clean - install went great. Immediately noticed pedal efforts were through the roof.. we spent a lot of time making sure the master was fine, slave nice and smooth etc. drove it for a season and swapped in the tic master thinking that was the root cause of the huge efforts.. nope, then I changed the slave cylinder - triple checked everything - had a real racing mechanic do it.

When we dropped the car off he said, what the hell is wrong with this clutch? don't worry i'll fix it he said.. after the install he said everything is tip top - its the crazy clutch with some type of insane stage 5+ spring on it.

A year later it wiped out the tic master cylinder - from nothing but massive wear poor thing couldn't take it.

So, does Spec mess up the springs sometimes on these causing crazy efforts?

I have the same Stage 2+ on my mustang but its a smaller looking clutch and efforts are LESS THAN HALF of the GTO clutch. both of us got the billet pressure plate option with the clutch from Spec for an additional $500.

I called spec they said nothing but that's what you get with a clutch that can take 800 ft. lbs. I said then why is my Mustang version that can take 700 ft lbs less than half the efforts? why is this stiffer than other folks stage 5+??

Nobody I ever let drive my car has ever felt a harder clutch that includes old dump trucks and semi trucks. F250's and 4x4 mega trucks. so Is the clutch bad??? what should I do? it works well in every other respect.

Many thanks, Jeff
Old 06-07-2019, 12:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

It sounds like the MC isn't sized right. Hydraulics are amazing but if its the wrong size then you won't get the right mechanical advantage.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Chris Paveglio
It sounds like the MC isn't sized right. Hydraulics are amazing but if its the wrong size then you won't get the right mechanical advantage.
Chris. the spec does not require any new Master cylinder or slave or pedal. when we did the initial swap everything was left factory. only later did we swap the tic master in and then later again replace the slave.

do u think with that in mind we still could have the master messed up??? would both stock and tic have the same hard pedal issues? fyi the tic is worn out now. (bore and some linkage that was also aluminum are edged out a bit)
Old 06-10-2019, 04:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by twistedneck
fyi the tic is worn out now. (bore and some linkage that was also aluminum are edged out a bit)
….so you feel the MC is "worn" and you have increased pedal effort.....then replace the MC

FWIW larger bore MC's, like the Tick, require about 10% more pedal effort

If replacing the MC, get the McLeod which uses the Wilwood compact MC. Not the Tilton that Tick uses
Old 06-11-2019, 01:37 PM
Teching In

******, thanks for the heads up on the wildwood MC.. i'll get that for sure since the TIC failed at 3 yrs that's pretty sad.

ALTHOUGH - with the huge pedal efforts i'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.

Can you comment on this? is it just this particular clutch that has WAY TOO HIGH effort or are all the LS type Spec clutch's over the top with efforts? I ask cause this clutch is worse than anything I've felt ever, or anyone else for that matter - over double the effort lbs.

and the slave and master and shifter have all been gone through and checked, only thing we didn't do was try a new clutch. i'm leaning that way. What should I ask Spec? they just said its normal last time I spoke to them. its clearly not normal.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:36 PM
Teching In

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I think I had this clutch installed back in like 07 on my car. It was definitely a little stiff compared to stock. Besides it I have nothing else to compare it to. IT has held up for years as well as like 50,000 miles. Sorry not much help but just wanted to throw it out there.
Old 06-22-2019, 02:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Spec 2

I have a Spec stg 2 and initially it was a bit stiff but now with some miles it feels good. Definitely not a soft as the LS7 in my buddies camaro. I have a Wilwood 3/4” master cylinder.

Search this Thread