Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Resurfacing a pressure plate????

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There are a lot of "old school" guys who believe anything can be resurfaced. Not necessarily true.

GM specifically states REPLACE, DO NOT RESURFACE. You know what that means?? GM engineers determined you shouldn't do it. Replace it, its not worth resurfacing.

As for losing claming force, thats not the only variable. Whenever you resurface or "cut" something, you lose material. The pressure plate and flywheel are tested for OEM durability at original thickness only, not at a thickness less than stock due to being machined. This makes either one much more prone to "warping" under severve conditions, such as hot lapping, track use, ect. due to less heat dissipation.

You don't buy an F-body as an appliance, you buy it for performance. Do the proper thing and replace the PP.

Last edited by Wesmanw02; 02-06-2010 at 08:29 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they want over 900.00 for a fly-wheel!! Screw that! I was wondering about resurfacing the pressure plate or what they mean by "cleaning up" the pressure plate, I have already machined the fly-wheel.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 94camaroz28lt1
they want over 900.00 for a fly-wheel!! Screw that! I was wondering about resurfacing the pressure plate or what they mean by "cleaning up" the pressure plate, I have already machined the fly-wheel.
Who wants $900 for a flywheel??
Old 02-07-2010, 03:23 AM
On The Tree

Gm wants 900 for a fly-wheel!
Old 02-08-2010, 11:57 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

does this need to be resurfaced it only has 1500 kms on it it is a spec stage 1. Where can I get a new disk? mine is bent, and I want to get one locally, it will cost over 100.00 in shipping back to spec other wise! Will a Valeo, Ram HD, Centerforce or Sachs disk work with the spec pressure plate?
You've turned the flywheel and should therefore turn the PP to give the new disc best opportunity to bed in to the FW/PP.

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
There are a lot of "old school" guys who believe anything can be resurfaced. Not necessarily true.

GM specifically states REPLACE, DO NOT RESURFACE. You know what that means?? GM engineers determined you shouldn't do it. Replace it, its not worth resurfacing.
Nope. The F-body LS1 service recommendations changed mid-stream. They were originally written to turn flywheels and later revised sometime around 2001 to replace all. New flywheels were in short supply at that time

Service recommendations like replace, don't resurface are done in part based on the cost of labour hours vs. parts costs.

The time to (possibly disassemble,) measure and machine a PP with potentially less than 100% results means that it's better to replace every PP / disc together (on which a profit is being made somewhere in the markup between supplier / parts counter / warranty or hourly work) and get the bay open to new jobs than to spend time on the operations of machine work. One failed turned PP out of a hundred puts the whole R&R job and parts replacement back on the cost total. Move 'em in and move 'em out.

You don't need to go to the dealer for a flywheel. They have their accounting practices and prices. Other places have theirs.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol... Really? In that case, i think the transmission should be replaced everytime you need to replace the clutch.
Originally Posted by Camaro00_SS
NO!! ABSOLUTELY NOT!! Unless of course, you want to buy a new transmission..

Has anyone ever seen the difference between a new clutch and used one? Because everyone i have ever seen uses a material that is softer then the metals clamping it, therefor it is going to lose thickness as it wears. Thousandths of an inch arent going to change that in most cases... in fact id like anyone to tell me they can see a difference with their naked eye.

If were talking about the extreme end of the spectrum; Nascar, top fuel... your right, they are probably better off replacing because they are right on the edge as it is.

For you and I its not going to make a difference. In fact i would go as far as saying it would grip BETTER because the surfaces have a chance to mate and the hot spots / grooves can be removed.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:35 PM
On The Tree

Default Same issues with Spec

Originally Posted by ws.6kid
Can you resurface a pressure plate and is it recommended???
I took my clutch out today cause it was totally gone and there was nothing but metal on the clutch no material... Anyways it screwed up the flywheel pretty bad as well as the pressure plate. The flywheel i know i can resurface but can I resurface a pressure plate???

BTW its a spec3 clutch and pressure plate. new clutch, replacing old clutch, and I was hoping to use my existing pressure plate...
I bent my 3-4,5-6 forks and chewed gears up in my M6 on my 1st trip to the track with my 01' WS6, bone stock with 100k miles. Since I had the tranny out getting beefed up I decided to put a new clutch kit in. Well I was new to the LSX world 2 yrs ago when that happenend and didnt know till after I got the stg2 spec kit that I already had the Z06 set-up from factory. The stg2 said up too 400hp, but many people told me not to get it and bla bla bla. Well while tranny was out and new clutch was coming I got LT's,ORY-pipe,pro 5.0. Well I installed it all and it was a new beast, I broke it all in right, and all was good but people still told me the spc stg2 only held 400hp at the crank and I ran 13.08 with just an Slp Lid and dynoed 306rwhp. I ran my car once again after I had 800mi on new spec clutch and went 12.78 with no tune and clutch was slipping when I went into 2nd until half way through 2nd, then a month later it went out after just 4mnths. It looked like black sludge, and it went out while I was driving in heavy rain and my mechanic thought maybe water got on the dish somehow, but it wasnt warrantee'd or anything and my pressure plate is like new still and so isnt the flywheel, its .776 thick after I had it resurfaced. I went ahead and bought a new LS7 clutch kit, flywheel and all because I was sick of people telling me they told me so about spec. Well sure enough its been over a year now and the LS7 kit feels like new still and has seen about 15 track runs, all street tire, and a best of 12.49, and it is driven to STL everyday! which sucks but I couldnt sell her after my layoff a year ago and had to sell the truck! Its a great clutch, just still wish I knew what happened to the spec, it looks like far less quality than the LS6 or LS7 clutch kit. I have a like new spec stg 2 press plate and a I dont have a clue how used LS6 press plate that was in it from factory and im wanting to trash them because ive had them over a year, but I was wondering if or who buys them and reconditions them or what?
Old 07-27-2010, 11:37 PM
On The Tree

Default sorry for the book

Originally Posted by getcha 01
I bent my 3-4,5-6 forks and chewed gears up in my M6 on my 1st trip to the track with my 01' WS6, bone stock with 100k miles. Since I had the tranny out getting beefed up I decided to put a new clutch kit in. Well I was new to the LSX world 2 yrs ago when that happenend and didnt know till after I got the stg2 spec kit that I already had the Z06 set-up from factory. The stg2 said up too 400hp, but many people told me not to get it and bla bla bla. Well while tranny was out and new clutch was coming I got LT's,ORY-pipe,pro 5.0. Well I installed it all and it was a new beast, I broke it all in right, and all was good but people still told me the spc stg2 only held 400hp at the crank and I ran 13.08 with just an Slp Lid and dynoed 306rwhp. I ran my car once again after I had 800mi on new spec clutch and went 12.78 with no tune and clutch was slipping when I went into 2nd until half way through 2nd, then a month later it went out after just 4mnths. It looked like black sludge, and it went out while I was driving in heavy rain and my mechanic thought maybe water got on the dish somehow, but it wasnt warrantee'd or anything and my pressure plate is like new still and so isnt the flywheel, its .776 thick after I had it resurfaced. I went ahead and bought a new LS7 clutch kit, flywheel and all because I was sick of people telling me they told me so about spec. Well sure enough its been over a year now and the LS7 kit feels like new still and has seen about 15 track runs, all street tire, and a best of 12.49, and it is driven to STL everyday! which sucks but I couldnt sell her after my layoff a year ago and had to sell the truck! Its a great clutch, just still wish I knew what happened to the spec, it looks like far less quality than the LS6 or LS7 clutch kit. I have a like new spec stg 2 press plate and a I dont have a clue how used LS6 press plate that was in it from factory and im wanting to trash them because ive had them over a year, but I was wondering if or who buys them and reconditions them or what?
Dude I didnt realize until I posted my Da%$ book that I quoted back soooo much. Sorry bout that, I've had a couple 6 or 7 beers.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:49 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Smile

Originally Posted by getcha 01
Dude I didnt realize until I posted my Da%$ book that I quoted back soooo much. Sorry bout that, I've had a couple 6 or 7 beers.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:55 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Ok, bringing this back up. I was talking to the tech line at Mcleod while ordering a new clutch disc, and the gentleman said to check the flatness of the pressure plate by placing a straight edge across it and measuring how far away from the ruler the inner diameter of the ring was by using a feeler gauge. He said, anything more than 0.010" I should have the pressure plate resurfaced to flat.

Well according to my measurements it's 0.038" of a gap. Am I measuring incorrectly? Straight edge across the pressure plate (on edge) while it's sitting on the bench and I stuck a feeler gauge in between the gap, just like you do a spark plug gap. Is it warped that bad? There's no bad hotspots or anything.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:05 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Forget it, I decided to buy a new pressure plate.

Quick Reply: Resurfacing a pressure plate????