Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Transmission grinds in every gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 01:15 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Transmission grinds in every gear

This happened the other day when racing and going into 2nd gear. A friends car started raising hell and grinding, so we towed it home.

Here are the symptoms:

Engage clutch pedal, crank car. All is good. Place car in 1st gear, as you begin to ease off the clutch pedal the car will move.. However, as you go to completely release the clutch pedal the car will make nothing but grinding noises.

Say you begin to roll by slowly releasing the clutch right before the hideous grind that it makes (loud as hell). Try to shift to 2nd.. it will do the same thing.. as you release the clutch pedal the car will start to pull some more if you ride it, but again.. as you completely disengage it the car will raise major hell.

To explain the grind I'm talking about, pretend you try to shift without a clutch.. and the rpms aren't just right. I'm sure all of you have made that mistake before when learning.. It makes this same sound grinding.. perhaps a little louder in all 6 gears, when releasing the clutch fully.

Will be pulling tranny tomorrow. Any ideas as to what this is? I'd think it'd be hydraulics except for the fact the car seems to be pulling along just fine and the clutch seems to be engaging/disengaging. Its when the car goes into gear it has a problem.. Any ideas as to what the problem is? My best guess is just something broke/came apart inside the tranny thats jammed it up.

Josh
Old 09-08-2004, 10:09 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a suggestion. Tell you friend to sell his POS ghey camaro and get a real car like a cobra.
Old 11-29-2004, 03:41 PM
Teching In

I have the same problem too...ever find out what it is?
Old 12-01-2004, 06:05 AM
11 Second Club

We think the tranny = shot.. We had it rebuilt, but the car has yet to be crunk since then.

Peace,
Josh
Old 12-01-2004, 06:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well this is how I see it. If you had the trans rebuilt only 2 options are valid
1) poor quality rebuild . REALLY poor to have all gears clash.
2) Poor clutch release - the only real choice here and my vote. Get the clutch & system checked out.
BTW- Continuing to drive it like this will take out the trans.
Old 12-01-2004, 03:51 PM
Teching In

Default Same problem

Had the eact same problem. Snuck up on me one night- sounds exactly what happened to your friend.

Found out that second, fourth and fifth, were gone, and reverse (God knows how) was following close behind.

I only had the car for about six months, and had only put on 2000 miles. guess I just got a lemon.

Sounds to me you got a poor rebuild- hope you got a warranty on that or you could be looking at a $4,000 for a new, installed T-56 like me.

Good Luck!

PheonixTa99
Old 12-01-2004, 04:40 PM
12 Second Club

One of my friends had a similar problem with a rebuild. As I remember, they tried to use aftermarket blocker rings that just refused to work. They switched to a set of GM blockers and it solved the problem.

Quick Reply: Transmission grinds in every gear