Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

hurst shifter feels loose

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 02:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hurst shifter feels loose

while the car is in gear it doesn't feel loose, but when i'm in neutral i can push the stick back and forth a bit. this is NOT to be confused with pushing the gear stick over in alignment with 1/2 gear or 5/6 gear, but while the gear stick is sitting right in the middle in neutral it has a little play in it - not much, but enough to have me post about it. is that normal?
Old 04-19-2005, 03:40 AM
9 Second Club

Yes. Get a Pro 5.0 and be done with the hurst junk.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

I agree
Old 04-19-2005, 04:07 AM
11 Second Club

I love my hurst.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

my buddy's hurst doesn't do that as much as mine.

i like the hurst with a short stick, actually. i prefer it over the other shifters, and i can definitely shift it quicker than you would believe i just wanted to know if this was normal though!
Old 04-19-2005, 01:05 PM
11 Second Club

did you check that the bolts holding the stick to the shifter aren't loose? i would have to tighten them every so often when i had my hurst shifter
Old 04-19-2005, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02 Camaro SS
did you check that the bolts holding the stick to the shifter aren't loose? i would have to tighten them every so often when i had my hurst shifter
yeah, it's the actual shifter.
Old 04-21-2005, 01:05 AM
Launching!

You didn't say if it is the OEM Hurst or the aftermarket billet version.....

If you have the aftermarket (Billet Plus) version, check the plates that hold the springs in the base of the shifter. Mine back off once in a great while and need to be tightned back down. Also, the springs can wear out. Hurst sells replacement springs for a few bucks.... a snap to fix.
Old 04-21-2005, 01:23 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JMBLOWNWS6
Yes. Get a Pro 5.0 and be done with the hurst junk.

I still don't see why people say this. He has a short stick on his Hurst.

The stock Hurst with a shortstick will make a pro 5.0 with the stick that comes with it feel like a loose goose piece of crap<= True Story

Originally Posted by tuffluck
while the car is in gear it doesn't feel loose, but when i'm in neutral i can push the stick back and forth a bit. this is NOT to be confused with pushing the gear stick over in alignment with 1/2 gear or 5/6 gear, but while the gear stick is sitting right in the middle in neutral it has a little play in it - not much, but enough to have me post about it. is that normal?
I think that as shifters get more miles they are going to loosen up.....mine has some play as well and I have the same setup you do. It isn't excessive is it? I just remember when I first put it on how incredibly notchy and tight it felt.
I've sat and driven a lot of different shifters in F-bodies and not to be biased but the Hurst w/ SS combo feels the best to me.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:08 AM
Teching In

There is a little plastic cup that the base of the shifter stick sits in. That cup might have fallen out. My neighbor had that problem, and I saw the plastic cup that he was talking about when I put my Pro 5.0 in.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

it's the OEM hurst. i didn't see a plastic cup. the play isn't excessive at all.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:39 AM
Teching In

Well it should be there. My trans is out of a 96 Z28 and it has one. My neighbor's trans is out of a 93 and it has one. Do you know what I'm describing? It's a little plastic cup, it is white or clear I think, and it sits inside of the trans. You have to take the shifter assembly completely off to see it. The shifter stub, the metal rod, sits in this cup. If you don't have it I'm sure you can find one on E-Bay or get one from Chevy. If I'm not being clear enough let me know, I want to make sure we're thinking of the same thing.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

well i took the shifter off last week to install a clutch. i don't think i saw one, but then again, i wasn't looking for one either. it could have been there and i just looked over it. i'll look around where i placed the shifter during the install...it may be lying nearby that area since it didn't move throughout the duration of the install.

but i'm not really worried about it. it doesn't move enough for me to be concerned. i was just wondering if it was normal, that's all.

Quick Reply: hurst shifter feels loose