Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

need a clutch stock or spec stage 1 or 2?

Old 05-06-2005, 03:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need a clutch stock or spec stage 1 or 2?

well its time for me to get a clutch because it is now sliping. i can get a clutch kit from the dealer for $399 which comes with the flywheel of just get a spec. is there much difference between the stock clutch and a stage 1 spec.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mag2001
well its time for me to get a clutch because it is now sliping. i can get a clutch kit from the dealer for $399 which comes with the flywheel of just get a spec. is there much difference between the stock clutch and a stage 1 spec.
What year is your car and what mods do you have? If you are an 01 or 02 and are stock then the factory Z06 clutch would be perfect for you.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:51 PM
On The Tree

i have a 2001 trans am with cat back exhuast ,slp lid, but will soon put headers, TB ,not too much
Old 05-06-2005, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

stage 2 for sure.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:37 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put a stage I in my 02 and I have the characteristic jumping and chattering. I see all of the posts where people say they have 98% no chatter, almost no chatter, acceptible chatter, and so forth. To me it either chatters or it doesn't. I have a real nice SS drop top and every time the damn clutch jumps and chatters it's shaking the dash and mirrors and seats and undoubtedly creating rattles and squeaks in the car. You have to decide what you want. If you are going to put sticky tires on your car an take it to the drag strip, you probably need something beyond a factory setup. On the other hand, if you have a slightly modded or stock engine and you just want to have a little fun now and then with street play, just upgrade to the Z06 kit. I wish that's what I had done. My factory clutch never chattered or jumped and lasted for 37K miles. The Z06 would have been an upgrade for me and I think it would have been fine. Show me an aftermarket clutch from one of the chatter factories that lasted 37K. The aftermarket stuff either has a more aggressive clutch disk that results in chatter, or it has a stronger pressure plate that requires more muscle from the left leg, or both.

Just decide based on your needs and not what everybody else is doing. The Z06 kit is an inexpensive, proven product, but it cannot withstand repeated 4 -5000 rpm hole shots on sticky tires; but then, if you find a clutch that can, but won't hook up too fast and blow your tranny or ring & pinion, and won't chatter, please let me know. I'll be first in line, or second right behind you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: need a clutch stock or spec stage 1 or 2?