Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch hydraulics. Need experienced help!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2001, 02:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clutch hydraulics. Need experienced help!!

OK, this is the problem.. Sorry so long.
I put a new clutch in my 99 SS about 4 months ago. Since I put the clutch in, I have had problems with the clutch pedal pressure. It would stick to the floor sometimes (under WOT) and other times I would just barely have any pedal pressure. When I replaced the clutch, I installed a 2001 slave cylinder but used my 99 master cylinder. I had been using this master cylinder until this past Friday, when I installed a 2001 master cylinder hoping this would fix my problem. When I put the master cylinder in, I had a good pedal feel for a few hours, then it slowly started to decrease in pressure. By the end of the night, I was having a hard time shifting and my clutch pedal was barely coming up off of the floor. I thought maybe I had a little air in the system from my old master cylinder, so I tried to bleed the system. I bled it about 10-15 times and had a good pedal feel, so I bled it a few more times to be sure all the air was out. My pedal felt great, until about the time I was pulling out of my driveway, then it was back to the floor and was a little hard to shift. Is there supposed to be any shims behind the slave cylinder? I installed a SPEC clutch, and I asked them if I needed anything else to install the clutch and they said no. I believed them because they do use the stock components (with the exception of changing the internals.) Can someone please help me? I am very stressed out about this problem and would like to have full use out of my car.
Thanks in advance,
Kevin
Old 12-30-2001, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: Clutch hydraulics. Need experienced help!!

Man if this doesn't sound familiar.I just figured mine out last night.What you need to do is either buy an adjustable master cylinder or make yours adjustable.Mcleod offers one and so does cartek it allows the pedal to travel further thus letting the clutch fully disengage. I guarantee this will fix your problem i fought my car for about 2 months I was ready to burn it.If you look in the drivetrain section they have pictures and instructions on how to make yours adjustable thats what i did.Good luck .
Old 01-01-2002, 06:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone else??? No offense, but I can't see an adjustable master cylinder fixing my problem. My clutch will feel extremely well right after I bleed it, but it seems like the more you push the pedal, the less pressure you have. My clutch is fully releasing about 1-2 inches off of the floor. Any other suggetions welcomed.
Kevin
Old 01-01-2002, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

None taken,but that is exactly the same **** i went through and thats finally what fixed mine give it a try ,you've got nothing to lose.
Old 01-01-2002, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

There is some kind of design flaw in the stock hydraulic system. I've had the same problems you are stating using both 2000 hyd's and 2001 hyd's.

I'm going to put in an adjustable master and switch to high-temp syn brake fluid.

I believe the problem is that we boil the clutch fluid, and when it's in the gaseous state, it slips past the check valves, thus "re-adjusting" our travel. I'll perform the mod in the next week. I'll post my results.

Several of people have done this and it fixed the problem. I'm crossing my fingers.

BTW- If you pump the clutch pedal a dozen times before staging, it helps ALOT.

Quick Reply: Clutch hydraulics. Need experienced help!!