Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

4 speed behind a LS1 and still have hydraulic clutch?

Old 06-23-2005, 11:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4 speed behind a LS1 and still have hydraulic clutch?

Just like the subject says, what kind of 4 speeds can a person put behind a LS1 and still have a hydraulic clutch? Also, what type of shifters do those 4 speeds have? Hoping to a person could get a 4 speed with internal linkages. Also don't know how the shifter would line up though.

Looking into the idea of just putting a 4 speed into a project car I'm thinking of getting for I wouldn't need the overdrives and the 4 speed I think would be lighter.

Thanks! Any links or pics you might also have would be cool as well!

Ted
Old 06-24-2005, 12:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could use a muncie or T10 and use an aftermarket hydraulic throw out bearing. This would save space eliminating the clutch fork and slave.
You can find the bearing at summit. Howe racing is the maker.

Last edited by camrsz; 06-24-2005 at 12:15 AM.
Old 06-24-2005, 06:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by camrsz
You could use a muncie or T10 and use an aftermarket hydraulic throw out bearing. This would save space eliminating the clutch fork and slave.
You can find the bearing at summit. Howe racing is the maker.
Cool, thanks for the info!

In regards to the 4 speed Muncie's and the Richmond T10, how are they for shifting for road racing type applications? That's the biggie for me. Was looking around and saw that they had external linkages and I haven't driven them before. Only really had a lot of experience with the T56 in my '96 T/A. I do like the idea of maybe shaving off 50 to 80 pounds of weight over the T56 though and if 4th and 5th aren't needed I figured it would be logical to try to get a 4 speed. I dunno, just a thought for now.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They do make aftermarket shifters for them as well as linkage using spherical rod ends. I never did any real road racing with mine, it did shift very well, ups shifts were easier then the down shifts. But Thats becuase the shifter I had was for drag racing.
You could also keep an eye on ebay for NASCAR gear boxes.
Old 06-25-2005, 01:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

i think the six cylinder cars had hydraulic actuators also. those cars had 5 speeds that are similar to the 4 speed. maybe its setup can be adapted to fit yours.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4 speed behind a LS1 and still have hydraulic clutch?