Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

more issues--early engagement...

Old 08-14-2005, 07:15 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default more issues--early engagement...

weel after almost a month of trying to get this thing to disengage i finally broke down and got the ram slave shim and installed it this am. now i can get it engaged but its right off the floor. maybe and inch. makes hustling thru the gears almost impossible. i have a ram adjustable master and its adjusted almost 3/4 the way out already. the pedal is now beginning to sit higher than the brake pedal. it also seems to be bled correctly. is there any way of raising this engagement point. i dont like it at all.

btw--its a mcleod single disc with aluminum flywheel, ram master, and 01 slave. all new not even 4 miles on it.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Early engagement

I just put a ram clutch in my 98 TA and am having the same problem. I put a new master and slave in and the shim to even be able to put the car in gear. Now I can get it in gear but I can still feel it is just grabbing when it is fully disengaged, this makes it impossible to shift the car quick. Ram gave me a whole list of things to check like travel to diswengage the clutch, slave travel. I love the clutch but i'm wiyh you on the fact it sucks. I have a spec flywheel and a ram powergrip hd clutch.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:48 PM
9 Second Club

ttt. i dont want to tear this thing up and right now its my only mode of transportation. i have to force it in reverse.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:07 PM
9 Second Club

would performing the drill mod or having another brand adjustable master on the mcleod clutch cause this?? i really need some help with this.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you bench bleed the master?

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/buschm...utchbleed.html

Very important. Also bleed the slave after the master is connected.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:54 PM
9 Second Club

yes i did both. i just got off the phone with mcleod technical service after trying to contact him for over a week and he said that the ram adj master i have wont push enough volume to properly push in the mcleod pressure plate. i gues its only a 3/4 piston as opposed to a 15/16. so they are sending me one and ill put it in sat. and see if it gets fixed.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I've heard the Mcleod clutches require the Mcleod adjustable master, and in most cases come shipped with them. Did the mcleod master make a difference? Also, did you check that the peddle can't be moved with the hydraulic line disconnected from the slave?
Old 08-24-2005, 05:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My mcleod master helped with disengagement for a few weeks since it pushed more fluid. But then the seal went bad because it's a peice of ****. I could actually feel the engagement point getting lower every time i shifted till eventually it was right on the floor. It was not a leak, just a bad seal. I got a new gm master and it works fine.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:59 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mike44138
From what I've heard the Mcleod clutches require the Mcleod adjustable master, and in most cases come shipped with them. Did the mcleod master make a difference? Also, did you check that the peddle can't be moved with the hydraulic line disconnected from the slave?
havent had a chance to get under the car yet but will tomorrow. it goes in very smooth the first time but almost imediately after i drive it its crap again. b4 with the ram i could never get it to go into gear smooth.
Old 08-27-2005, 10:29 AM
9 Second Club

ok masters in and i CANNOT press clutch pedal with it unhooked from slave. its like a rock. soooo does that mean i have air trapped in the slave? mcleod said 2 full pumps to the floor then hold it and crack the bleeder than close it right away. do thisuntill all air is out. but how do u know because its not like u can see the bleeder?
Old 08-31-2005, 08:53 PM
9 Second Club

ok after 5 weeks and over $1200 i still dont have a car so im dropping it off at a local shop tomorrow. this one is going to go up as a newbie mistake..........

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: more issues--early engagement...