Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch sticking to floor (step by step troubleshooting) hope this helps

Old 10-27-2005, 05:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch sticking to floor (step by step troubleshooting) hope this helps

As some may know from other posts, my clutch would stick to the floor. It did this under WOT. Under normal driving conditions, this problem would not occur. When the clutch pedal stuck to the floor, the clutch was still enguaged and did not allow me to shift until I pulled the pedal up from the floor and pumped pressure back to it. My car setup is as follows:

99 Z28 M6
Luk Pro Gold Clutch
Aluminum Flywheel
02' master and slave
new TO bearing and Pilot bearing.
5000 miles on products

TROUBLE SHOOTING:

I blead the system and it did not fix it.

I bench blead the master and that did not fix it.

I performed the drill mod did and that did not fix it.

I replaced the master cylinder and that did not fix the problem.

next up is the slave cylinder

hope this is helping people out.

I will update after I replace the slave.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:04 PM
Launching!

Weird. Almost seems like the fluid would have to be going around the slave seals instead of moving the piston and mashing clutch. I'm betting it's the slave too. Good luck.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

read this:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....6&postcount=41
Old 10-28-2005, 05:34 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Everything is fairly easy to get to ...minus the slave!

Good luck man...I have the same problem, but I just bleed it about 2 times a week, and then it is good to go.
You have an aftermarket master? Like a mcleod adjustable?

I can compensate for the stick to the floor by adjusting the master.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

no, just an 02 master
Old 10-28-2005, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

having the same problem. all the answer ive found is slave cylinder.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

well I got my car back from the shop after they replaced the slave and the TO bearing and the problem still persists.

Shop comments:
Pressure plate looked fine and no fingers were bent. They were all at equal hieghts.
While loosening the TO bearing it poped out a little. The bearing wasnt all the way extended I guess until they started loosening it up. They said the pilot bearing looked just fine and the input shaft did not have any maring or anything and looked fine. He did say that he thinks the bearing is hanging up on the input shaft because the input shaft might have 3 or 4 thousandths of play in it. He doesnt think its bent, but rather the input shaft bearing on the transmission might be warn and have a little slop in it.

What are your guys take on this? Help is needed and appreciated. I need to fix this problem.
Robert
Old 11-01-2005, 05:42 PM
TECH Addict

My car does the same thing if i were to take it off the line and it spins all of first when i go push in the clutch it stays on the floor. And when i first drive the car in the morning i have to hold in the clutch and go 1-4 atleast 2 times because if i don't soon as i drive down the street that i go to 3rd it grinds. And i have been told its the slave because i have an '00 and the better slave came on the 01-02.
-Joel
Old 11-01-2005, 05:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have the 02 slave though. Right now I am going to insulate the line because that is the last little thing I can do right now. I bought some fuel line and exhuast wrap and will see if that helps because my LT's arent letting that line cool down by any means. I think I am just physically boiling my clutch fluid under WOT. We will see if this works.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've not had one clutch related problem since I insulated my line a few years back. Nineball posted up a writeup a few years ago on how to fix this problem! Also use Valvoline Synpower DOT IV Synthetic fluid as it has a much higher boiling point that conventional DOT 3's. There are also alot better fluid's than the Valvoline, it all depends on how much you want to pay.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what is your flywheel like, resurfaced, new?
do you have a shim in it?

thats my guess until i prove my self wrong, cause i two have replaced everything else and nothing worked .
just need to get my car back together to test it out.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

it had an aluminum flywheel put in 5000 miles ago(brand new) with the rest of the stuff (refer to first post) and it worked fine for 5000 miles. The more and more I think, it has to be the heat because this problem started occuring and getting worse after I put the LT's on. I am going to insulate the line today and see how it goes.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

is there any way that the flywheel could be warped and causing this? Never been autox'd or anything. Was at the track 2 times and sees redline sometimes on the streets (weekends usually)
Old 11-02-2005, 01:35 PM
11 Second Club

I was having the exact same problems. Never could get a clean full run and 60's were ****. I did the Mighty Vac mod. Well not technically a mod, but it sure feels like it after you do it. You need to vacuum bleed your system. You have air in the hydraulics that needs to be removed. This is why you are having prolems. I used to miss a gear every other run and even street driving. After I did this I only missed once since. What is happenning is the air is being moved instead of the fluid not allowing for full disengagement of the clutch under heavy loads. Also with the air, the fluid boils sooner like an air bubble in the cooling system. You do not need the Mighty Vac, any vacuum tester will work. I used a Snap On tester. Just my experience.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

I dont know if you realize how many times I have mighty vac'd, blead, and bench blead this system. Trust me, I would not have replaced everything if that had worked. BTW...I dont miss gears and my clutch disenguages, but when the pedal sticks to the floor it is enguaged. Yes, it has to do with air but I believe the air is coming from the heat generated by the LT's on the bare clutch line and is causeing the fluid to boil which produces the air in the system.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:12 PM
11 Second Club

You never mentioned vacuum bleeding, only bleeding. You must shift like an old lady or never shift when the pedal sticks to not miss a gear then. Before I even realize the pedal is stuck I am going for the next gear. Does it not let you pull out of gear when it sticks?
Old 11-02-2005, 10:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

I cannot pull it out of gear when it is stuck to the floor. My apologies about the reference to the first post, I have a few others on here where i describe what I have done and got it mixed up with this one. BTW..I can row gears. I dont miss them but when it starts to stick it grinds going in, but it does go in and then you cant pull it out because it is stuck to the floor and the clutch is engauged. Hope that helps clarify the situation.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:17 AM
11 Second Club

OK, then that eliminates my theory if you can't get it out of gear at all till the pedal comes up. In my situation it was as if the friction point was lowerred to the floor, so I could get it out, but not in since I let the clutch out slightly before I get the next gear typically, hence the missed gears. Well I am at a loss then. Good Luck!
Old 11-03-2005, 04:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

insulated the line today and it seems to of helped. The pedal still gets mushy but it hasnt stuck yet (only tested it once and only took it to 3rd gear). I will try it on the freeway later and see how it does. I have not blead the system yet either. I just mity vac'd it.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

I am now smelling clutch at WOT so the clutch is spinning and I think the Pressure plate is the culprate. We will see this following week.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clutch sticking to floor (step by step troubleshooting) hope this helps