Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Measuring transmission output yoke drive angle?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 07:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Measuring transmission output yoke drive angle?

I am in the process of removing my T10 4 speed and swapping in a LS1 series T56 in my '82 Z28.I need to make a new crossmember for the car to mount the T56 and clear the 3" y pipe I am also making for my SLP headers.The fabrication is not an issue,and I own a MIG and have been welding for years so those areas are covered.My concern right now is how/where do I measure transmission output yoke drive angle?I want to be able to get this recorded so that I can duplicate it on the T56 when I start making the crossmember.Do I just place an angle finder on the rear of the tailshaft (where the yoke slides in and the seal is located)and record that angle?Or is it more involved?I would greatly appreciate an explanation on this subject (i.e how to do it)!!!
Old 11-11-2005, 07:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's good to hear that you are measuring the current angle before you get the new box in and wonder what to fabricate the x member to( the common f-up). As a rule you do not want to exceed 3 degrees total front to back on the shaft. That would mean 1.5 degrees at each joint( I assume you are using 2- some don't) It would be a little easier to measure if you got a loose yoke to incert into the trans output. Keep in mind that some ( maybe even most) drivetrains are installed on an angle front to back ( 3 to 5 degrees) That is the rear face of engine block as installed is facing down hill( or up hill as in some Vettes).That overall angle is not really part of what you fabricate the propshaft to. The overall drivetrain angle is your "zero" point.Preserving that "flow" will ease headaches in the long run. Re-mounting diffs to get a proper flange angle is also a car-crafting tool.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:26 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could alway just measure your engine angle and then duplicate that. Use an angle finder on the balancer to find the angle your engine tilts down, then put it back at the same angle and everything else will be the same when finished.

Frank

Quick Reply: Measuring transmission output yoke drive angle?