Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

A few newb rear end questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 09:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few newb rear end questions

I read everything I could on Jeberwaki's FAQ about rear ends, and on some posts talking about rear ends, but I still can't figure a few things out. Exactly how much would it cost to upgrade/replace the 10-bolt with a 9 inch?

Is this something that I will most likely have to do to my car if I buy an m6? If it makes any difference I'll be buying a 40-60k mile 1998-2000 LS1.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:35 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mpe488
I read everything I could on Jeberwaki's FAQ about rear ends, and on some posts talking about rear ends, but I still can't figure a few things out. Exactly how much would it cost to upgrade/replace the 10-bolt with a 9 inch?

Is this something that I will most likely have to do to my car if I buy an m6? If it makes any difference I'll be buying a 40-60k mile 1998-2000 LS1.
I'm not sure what it costs but it's not cheap. Prob about $2500. It's too bad that these haven't been around long enough that someone has managed to find a bolt in replacement like I did for my 73 Nova. It was nothing to swap in a 9" from a thunderbird.

Its almost impossible to answer your question of if and when you'll need to replace the rear. On radials it will take quite a bit because of the spin, w/slicks I saw a stock motor toss one on the track. The methods of power will also play a part, a progressive nitrous system could score lots of power with minimal stress. You'll prob just have to look around and see what others are getting away with for an idea.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:46 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDogofWar
I'm not sure what it costs but it's not cheap. Prob about $2500. It's too bad that these haven't been around long enough that someone has managed to find a bolt in replacement like I did for my 73 Nova. It was nothing to swap in a 9" from a thunderbird.

Its almost impossible to answer your question of if and when you'll need to replace the rear. On radials it will take quite a bit because of the spin, w/slicks I saw a stock motor toss one on the track. The methods of power will also play a part, a progressive nitrous system could score lots of power with minimal stress. You'll prob just have to look around and see what others are getting away with for an idea.
this is very true.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:19 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen these cars break the weak 7.5" Monza/S10 rear on stock tires when the car has a six speed. Automatics tend to last longer, as the rear isn't shocked as much. There isn't anything you can really do to make a 10 bolt hold up, as the 7.5" ring and pinion is just too small in diameter. As far as retrofitting another rear, the torque arm mount is the hurdle that makes a new Moser or Strange the way to go. Bob