Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Changing Reluctors to Compensate for Gears?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 08:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing Reluctors to Compensate for Gears?

I was wandering if it was a possibility to changer reluctors on the speed sensor to compensate for rear gear changes. Everything I have found says you must re-flash or get an expensive signal buffer to take care of this. Has anybody ever heard of just changing the reluctor?
Old 12-08-2005, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Assuming you know the lug count needed for the reluctor/ tonewheel change, it is more trouble to do this( change it out) than to get the re-flash/ calibration.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:50 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why do you not want a reflash? Find someone with HPTuners in your area that has the license for your model year (I personally have licenses for all 2001 and 2002 F-bodies), and buy them a beer. Take them out to lunch. I'd do it for $6 worth of Taco Bell.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suppose it could be done, but it probably would be cheaper to put a custom reluctor on the driveshaft. The one in the trans would probably take more machining than one on the driveshaft.

I've worked with a shop (Renegade Hybrids out in Las Vegas) that put their own reluctors on CV axles for LT1 installs (in to Porsches). Worked very well. But they still reprogrammed the PCM to compensate for the pulse difference.

Quick Reply: Changing Reluctors to Compensate for Gears?