Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LS7 Clutch Installed Today!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 10:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS7 Clutch Installed Today!!!

Well after it gave out at the Desert Races this past weekend (As shown in the video, I was the car that stopped once second gear didnt quite make it)

Anyways another credit to Don Lee's Auto service in Rancho Cucamonga, CA.

The pictures are shown below as attachments. The LS7 Clutch has an AMAZING amount of clutch area. I think its almost double what the stock clutch has. The clutch liner is made from Raybestos, it doesnt seem very meaty, but I think the extra amount of surface area allows this clutch to grab. This was one of those days where I wished, no I prayed for stop and go traffic on the 15 in california, but of course it was smooth sailing. I am planning to take it to the track this weekend, so I'm trying to get the miles on it.

Ok back to the clutch, the pedal disengages right at the bottom, on the Stage 2 clutch prior it disengaged at the top and the pressure was hard. This one is soft as can be, just like my new clutch in the Solstice. It feels great, but I do have one complaint, not sure if its an issue, but the pressure plate, flywheel, and clutch are alot heavier then stock, it may increase the rotating mass. I know why an LS2 flywheel is needed, its mainly because of the surface area the new clutch has, you'll notice what I mean in the pictures below.
Attached Thumbnails LS7 Clutch Installed Today!!!-1.jpg   LS7 Clutch Installed Today!!!-2.jpg   LS7 Clutch Installed Today!!!-3.jpg   LS7 Clutch Installed Today!!!-4.jpg  
Old 03-01-2006, 12:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i also have one in my car also and i love it. No chatter whats so ever. It does grab alittle sooner but i'm used to it. aLot of people who drove my car isn't used to clutch to grab so quickly so almost all who drove it, stalled it
Old 03-01-2006, 02:15 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by CaliboyTA
i also have one in my car also and i love it. No chatter whats so ever. It does grab alittle sooner but i'm used to it. aLot of people who drove my car isn't used to clutch to grab so quickly so almost all who drove it, stalled it

Well to be honest I stalled it out twice, YES TWICE when I left the shop. It grabs SO freaking early its unreal, right off the floor BAM, but my pedal is super soft, and before it was hard. The release is almost instant. When I get on it after 500 miles are so I'm gonna have to adjust to how fast it releases so I can get a shift pattern down.

Hands down best price/performance, there is 0 CHATTER, which is one of the best things, making a car a DD, this clutch is a must.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

how do u adjust teh clutch?
Old 03-01-2006, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

shim the slave
Old 03-01-2006, 07:21 PM
Launching!

no chatter wtf , my car bucks like a mule with my new ls7 clutch till about 1200rpms. You guys have stock cam car?
Old 03-01-2006, 09:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have a stock cam car.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Flash99
Well to be honest I stalled it out twice, YES TWICE when I left the shop. It grabs SO freaking early its unreal, right off the floor BAM, but my pedal is super soft, and before it was hard. The release is almost instant. When I get on it after 500 miles are so I'm gonna have to adjust to how fast it releases so I can get a shift pattern down.

Hands down best price/performance, there is 0 CHATTER, which is one of the best things, making a car a DD, this clutch is a must.

lol i put mine in this past weeknd and i didnt the same thing lol its like your talking for me!!!
Old 03-03-2006, 01:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

where did you guys buy you LS7 clutch, im planning on buying one in a few days. Also, I have read at first the clutch will grab right off the floor but after 500 miles of break, it is self-adjusting and the engagement point will come up. All this being said your hydraulics must be properly/thoroughly blead.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:12 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS1TORQ
where did you guys buy you LS7 clutch, im planning on buying one in a few days. Also, I have read at first the clutch will grab right off the floor but after 500 miles of break, it is self-adjusting and the engagement point will come up. All this being said your hydraulics must be properly/thoroughly blead.
I shopped around and the best deal I found (combo of price + shipping) was Fred Beans.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jyeager
I shopped around and the best deal I found (combo of price + shipping) was Fred Beans.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:17 PM
On The Tree

Talked to Scoggins and they said the LS2 and LS7 flywheel are the same. So best bang for the buck would be the clutch kit from GM - around $499 clutch, pressure plate, flywheel and throwout bearing.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I just drove mine home from the shop tonight. Same as what's already been posted - no chatter, really soft pedal (switched from Mcleod master back to stock), low engagement. A little bit of free play at the top of the pedal. I'm hoping the engagement does come up a bit for ease of shifting. I'm using the 13lb Fidanza flywheel.

I didn't stall mine, but missed an easy shift. It sure feels good to have it back. So do I really need to put 500 miles of stop'n'go driving on it to break it in?

No bucking at all here. In fact, I re-checked being able to use 5th gear at 40MPH due to another thread
Old 03-03-2006, 09:39 PM
On The Tree

Does anyone have info to support the fact that Scoggins told me today that the LS2 and LS7 flywheel are the same and clutch kit including LS7 clutch, pressure plate, throwout brg and flywheel are $499 - not in stock but can be ordered - not too bad of a price ? Also has anyone run a Centerforce dual friction or new DFX clutch and what do you think ?
Old 03-03-2006, 10:23 PM
On The Tree

Yes, break in is important along with heat cycling.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:16 PM
TECH Addict

when will companies start putting stiffer springs in this thing!?! between the added surface area and higher tension, this would be the ULTIMATE clutch on the market!
Old 03-04-2006, 08:40 AM
TECH Resident

How many miles are you guys with the LS7 clutch setup putting on it before you get on it? I've read 500 miles, just wondering if anyones got on it before that.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by MattIROC
How many miles are you guys with the LS7 clutch setup putting on it before you get on it? I've read 500 miles, just wondering if anyones got on it before that.
That's what I've read too, but I don't know how that figure was arrived at. I think I've used 300 miles for previous aftermarket clutches.
Old 03-04-2006, 12:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Can somebody explain the layout of the fingers on the pressure plate. I'm talking about the 2 different positions of the fingers. Is that like a dual pressure setup for leverage help and makes for less pedal pressure? Is the stock pressure plate setup this way?
Old 03-04-2006, 02:06 PM
On The Tree

Lightbulb

For those interested, I just verified that the LS7 and LS2 flywheel are the same part number #12571611 which means that an LS1 can use the GM LS7 clutch kit containing flywheel, clutch and throwout brg.