Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Hard to get into gear during WOT

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 03:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard to get into gear during WOT

Lately (It has been kinda chilly) when Ive tried to go WOT I cannot shift as fast as Id like due to the tranny not wanting to go into 2nd,3rd, or 4th w.o some muscle. This is ONLY during WOT. Any other time during cruising the gears feel fine. Any reasons or solutions to this?
Old 03-09-2006, 03:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

hydraulics
Old 03-09-2006, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So...Im a little ignorant when it comes to clutches and MCs...what does that mean?
Old 03-09-2006, 03:58 PM
Launching!

i had the same problem with my 98 ss 2 all i did was change my master and its been all cool u should do that
Old 03-09-2006, 05:24 PM
Banned

drill mod time, and update to 01-02 master and slave
Old 03-09-2006, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would upgrade to the 02 hydraulics and at the very least to the drill mod.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The master cylinder was replaced and upgraded with an 02 about 7k miles ago. Anyone have the link handy for the drill mod?
Old 03-09-2006, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...r_cylinder.htm
Old 03-09-2006, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ive owned two cars that did that with the 01-02 masters.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So the drill mod will get rid of this? What exactly will the shifter feel like afterwards? Im not exactly understanding on how this "drill mod" really works but Id be willing to do it if it loosens my baby up a bit.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:19 PM
Banned

it has nothin to do with ur shifter just your hydraulics (master and slave) which determines how fast ur clutch moves in and out. GM put a restrictor on the steel braided line that runs fromt he master to the slave to stop high rpms shifts aka racing.

It will allow you tohave smoother and better shifts.

make sure u get 100% of the air out of the system after ur done.

pm me if u have any more questions
Old 03-10-2006, 12:42 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ecko70
Lately (It has been kinda chilly) when Ive tried to go WOT I cannot shift as fast as Id like due to the tranny not wanting to go into 2nd,3rd, or 4th w.o some muscle. This is ONLY during WOT. Any other time during cruising the gears feel fine. Any reasons or solutions to this?
Im having this problem also after having the spec 3+ installed. I had the slave replaced but not the master. Im pretty sure it's master though. Going to have it replaced on monday.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

I would also stick your hand under the dash and under the hood around the area or the master and see if anything is leaking.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by stang killer
I would also stick your hand under the dash and under the hood around the area or the master and see if anything is leaking.
BTW, The drill mod will not help this type of problem, It might help a little though,the drill mod mostly just helps the clutch snap right back or engage quicker. I think from the factory GM wanted a softer engaging clutch, That's why I believe they put the restriction in there.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:56 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SmaknaSS
BTW, The drill mod will not help this type of problem, It might help a little though,the drill mod mostly just helps the clutch snap right back or engage quicker. I think from the factory GM wanted a softer engaging clutch, That's why I believe they put the restriction in there.
Yes, you're right SmaknaSS. The drill mod won't affect this symptom.

There's a big misunderstanding as to what the drill mod actually addresses. First, as SmaknaSS mentioned, there is a restriction in the Clutch MC hose. GM intentionally designed this restriction. Why? To eliminate an accidentally side stepped clutch resulting in loss of car control and crashing.

Look at what the restriction does: When the pedal is held down, the hydraulic fluid in the slave causes the clutch to disengage. When the clutch pedal is quickly released or side stepped, the restriction prevents the slave's clutch fluid from from immediately escaping, causing the slave to collapse and allowing the clutch to fully grab. The restriction prevents an instantaneous release of hydraulic fluid and full clutch engagement. To that degree it does soften the engagement. For drag racers it leads to smoked clutches as there is a very long engagement period at high RPM. Not good.

Drag Racers benefit from the drill mod as it allows the clutch to fully engage when desired. Road racers don't particularly care about the mod as they aren't into violent shifts. Smoothness is the key there.

How does the mod affect pushing in the pedal, creating pressure and thereby causing the slave to release the clutch? The restiction doesn't have an impact here. The fully enclosed hydraulic circuit takes the pedal's movement and creates pressure. It then forces the fluid through the hose and its restriction and causes the slave to work. Difficulty engaging a particular gear isn't caused by a hose restiction.

In a case where a person has difficulty shifting into gear I'd suspect a worn transmission first. I'd also ask about whether there was a recent aftermarket clutch swap where slave to pressure plate tolerences may be out of wack (eg, not installing a shim behind the slave & etc).

Steve
Old 03-10-2006, 11:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

I personally think the drill mod was put into place to help save driveline parts. GM knew these cars had weak driveshafts, and rears, so by letting the clutch engage softer, you wont shock the parts as hard.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by steve-d
Drag Racers benefit from the drill mod as it allows the clutch to fully engage when desired. Road racers don't particularly care about the mod as they aren't into violent shifts. Smoothness is the key there.
Steve
But that is basically what I am looking for. Like I said the tranny shifts smooth as butter when Im cruising, but when I want to mash the gas and rip the shifter it feels like there is just a block there for a full second before going into gear.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:18 PM
Launching!

If you can't shift into a gear when getting on the gas, the hydraulic system probably isn't the cause. That is as long as your slave isn't leaking. The inability to pull the shift lever fully home into whatever gear isn't a hydraulic problem, its probably a trans wear problem.

steve

But that is basically what I am looking for. Like I said the tranny shifts smooth as butter when Im cruising, but when I want to mash the gas and rip the shifter it feels like there is just a block there for a full second before going into gear.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I believe you have air in the line. your going to have to bench bleed and possibly replace the master or slave. I would check and or replace the master and then bench bleed the system and drive around for a few weeks. That's what solved my problems in the past. I also believe this problem is the result of the stock clutch/pressure plate not holding up so well.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:18 PM
Staging Lane

Same exact thing i'm getting. My clutch pedal has also firmed up also. Is your pedal feeling a little stiff? When i had my spec 3+ installed, i also had the shop do the drill mod too. I have about 2000 miles on this clutch. Last clutch i had was a regular spec 3 that lasted about 30000 miles.

Quick Reply: Hard to get into gear during WOT