Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

All clutch and no gas

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 06:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default All clutch and no gas

I recently(not even 2 days) started taking off in my car w/o giving it gas, car just creeps forward, doesnt rattle or anything and feels smooth, is this bad for the clutch? I give it gas when the clutch is completely engaged, makes for easier driving. Sorry if this is a stupid question, as I am a complete n00b when it comes to driving an M6.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nah it's fine for the clutch. as long as you do it slowly enough to not bog the motor, you're actually doing LESS damage to the clutch because it's engaging against a flywheel that's turning at a lower RPM.

when I first learned to drive stick (in my GTO the first day I got it), I used the clutch alone with no gas to get moving because i wasn't real coordinated with feathering a little throttle in yet and i didn't want to rev the motor a lot while slipping the clutch. (my clutch is probably in better condition than ANY other clutch that anyone ever LEARNED to drive a manual car on because i was so careful not to slip the hell out of it).

this only works with a torquey car like and LS1 or LS2 though. (at least a V8 or a torquey V6) If you try it with a Honda you're either going to stall it immediately or get moving SO SLOWLY that it doesn't make any sense to do.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

As DeepBlueZ said, its not bad for the clutch at all. In fact, its better because there is less of a variance in RPM between the transmission and engine, which means less clutch wear and heat buildup. As long as its not lugging/bogging the engine its fine.

As was also mentioned, its relatively easy to get an LS1 moving without giving it any gas, due to the large amount of low end torque. Our 03 Honda Civic has so little torque than letting the clutch out to the grab point without any gas, even on a downward slope, will stall the engine almost immediately
Old 03-16-2006, 12:38 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol, thanks guys. I do give it gas when I need move a bit quicker, but when Im goign to school in the morning and the streets are lonely, I take it easy and just drive like that.