Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

WOT 2nd gear grind

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 12:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WOT 2nd gear grind

You guys need to help me out here. Driving my car around just cruising everything is fine 99% of the time, shifting to 5th might grind once every few weeks or occasionally when downshifting (usually to 3rd or 4th). If I go WOT in 1st and shift to 2nd it grinds like hell, 3rd and 4th shift fine at WOT.

I changed out my tranny fluid last Saturday with some Valvoline High Mileage ATF (Dex III) and the tranny felt a little less notchy overall but it still has the grinding 2nd gear problem. I didn't really see many flakes in my old fluid when I looked at it and the fluid itself was dark but didn't smell.

Just as a test I cruised around only pushing the clutch halfway in to change gears and I went though all the gears just fine without grinding which suprised me.

What does it sound like to you guys? I'm pretty sure the clutch is still good because it doesn't seem to slip at WOT in 6th. I'm kinda leaning towards either a bad slave cylinder, bad syncro in 2nd or me just needing the drill mod.

BTW, I just rolled 70k on the car.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:39 PM
Staging Lane

I would give the drill mod a shot before spending any money on a new slave. Always better to try the free things just in case they work and there won't be any downsides to doing it.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:47 PM
Teching In

hey my trans does the same thing but whats a drill mod...??? i'd like to try that my car shifts great cruising but if i hammer it and pull 2nd it grinds also whats up with that skip shift not on car so could that be it too by the way its a 98ws6 trans am 6sp
Old 05-15-2006, 11:14 PM
Staging Lane

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm They have a good write-up on the drill mod.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:26 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL, drill mod, LOL

Your block rings are out, buy a new set ,. As a result of the grinding you are rounding the teeth off your gears, thus the syncro will not stay engauged, The grinding is casued by , none working block rings(old age/ miss shift). You have two magnets inside the trany near the drain, so all the metal is there.

Sounds like you need

Block ring kit-200
1-2 syncro - 150
2nd gear-150
3rd gear (maybe)-150
Labor- 250-300

Good luck

B-rad