Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch/Slave/Master Cylinder question

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 10:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch/Slave/Master Cylinder question

New member here....

Ok, I've got a 02' SS w/34,000 on the odo. Before anyone says, I haven't gotten a chance to go through this site yet so...

Anyways, I've been having problems with it not going into gear. The pedal feels fine and is firm, or "firmer" because of the SPEC 3 clutch. Here's the deal, with the car off it'll go into gear fine. However, when you start it up, with the clutch in, it won't go into gear, Also, if you start it in gear (with the clutch in) it'll act like the clutch isn't disengaged and won't turnover. Sometimes it'll even engage with the clutch pushed in!

I bled the clutch and that worked for awhile and it started again. Once it goes into gear it drives fine, the clutch works good no grinding or anything... Need some 2nd and 3rd guesses here......

I've talked with some people about this and they've said it could be a few things;
1) The fluid needs to be drained and fresh put in. The fluid in mine is pretty dark so I'll start here first.
2) The clutch master and cylinders, or one of the two is out. I've heard fxing these can be pretty involved so I'll ask for some advice from people who've had experience with this. Please be pretty specific here
3) The clutch is out... Don't think its this one but I'll include it. As I've said, once I get it into it drives fine....

Anyways thanks for any help!!!
Old 06-16-2006, 11:12 PM
TECH Regular

If you have no air in the lines I would probably guess it would be the slave cylinder. It seems like the clutch is not disengaging completely....buts that my opinion
Old 06-17-2006, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd start with a fluid change and then bleed the system. If that doesn't help, then you're down to the slave and master. You can swap the master without dropping the trans--so you might try that first. If that doesn't do it, then you have to do the slave. There are plenty of write-ups available to tell you how--just do a search.