Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Spec stage 5 slipping w/ 8k miles NO abuse

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 02:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spec stage 5 slipping w/ 8k miles NO abuse

Whats up guys. Just put a Spec stage 5 in my car, in March and have about 8k miles on it. I installed this w/ brand new slave, master, flywheel, pilot bearing.............every thing was changed so I would not be doing the clutch again for a while. I had previously had Noyzee's USED stage 4 and got a good 20k and 4 bottles of juice out of it before starting to slip. I installed that one as well w/ no issues, so I don't think there is an installation issue, with the stage 5. Ok that said, even thou there was no break-in period metioned from spec. I still drove conservatly for the first 500 miles to break-in the clutch. Since then I have driven the car hard but not retarted or used any Nitrous. My bottle has been empty since last year. The car hasn't been to the track at all. Only stop light action. I was told that this was the final say all of clucthes and a must have, pretty much. My car is only making about 350 rwhp off the bottle...................This is about half what this clutch is supposed to handle...........arggggggggggg Now to deal with the squealling that has never gone away, I've been riding the clutch more than you would with any other clucth. Could this be the cause and if so this is not the clutch for a daily driver.....And the way people talk about this thing is that it's almost indestructible, espeacially with only 350 ponies. And it's a great clutch for every day driving While all my rig has been doing is commuting to work all day w/ no play. And now it is starting to slip, mainly w/ no load rolling, step on it slips a little then its fine. I can still hammer down and it dosen't feel like it's slipping. But when you roll on the throttle cruising it slips. My stage 4 did this for a while until it was finally KO'd..................................WTF What is wrong here. Will spec warranty this or tell me to pound sand. This sucks, the way I've been driving, my stocker would be just fine..........Any help would be greatly appreciated. I spent close to a grand to do this the right way once and now its F*ing me hard, not even a complimentry reach around either. That will be when the tranny needs a rebuild because this clutch sucks. And dropping another G is not really an option right now......I'm so sick of **** like this that it may be time to trade the bitch in which sucks because I just paid it off when I did the clutch and was looking forward to no car payments. Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!sorry to rant but I'm sure you've all been in this boat with no paddle at some point.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

perhaps you should have read a little more on your clutch choice

Now to deal with the squealling that has never gone away, I've been riding the clutch more than you would with any other clucth. Could this be the cause and if so this is not the clutch for a daily driver
am i reading this right thats youve been riding the clutch a bunch and now your wondering why its slipping

These clutches are best ordered as custom configured and should be ordered after providing specific information about the car and it’s purpose to a SPEC technical assistant. Not street-friendly due to harsh engagement.
directly from specs site, does that sound like a clutch built for daily driving?
Old 06-22-2006, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

why would you buya stage 5 clutch for everyday driving ina 350rwhp n/a car. should have gone ls7.

edit: riding the clutch is abuse.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've got a Spec 5, no problems except some squealing from time to time. Totally beat hell out of it, many, many 4,000rpm dumps on MT DR's. Did you use the 1/8" spacer behind the slave?
Old 06-23-2006, 09:26 AM
TECH Resident

slipping aftermarket clutches will wear them out real fast. i think most of these aftermarket clutches need 4.11 gears so you don't have to slip them as much, then they won't go out so fast.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Your clutch is worn out probably becuase you are using for daily driving. That clutch is not meant to be slipped at all. When I bought my spec 5, I was told not to expect more than 10k miles out of it, if that.
Old 06-24-2006, 02:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry, not to be a *** but i bust out laughing at the title, i knew this was going to be funny since just about any car that needs a stage 5 clutch dont even see 8k miles a year if anywhere close to that

A. theres no way you researched this clutch very well
B. this is a on/off clutch, its not intended to slip, and its iron, yea its gunna make noise
C. you said you slipped the **** outa it and for 8k miles, honestly your lucky it lasted that long, that clutch is way overpowered for you car, you need a stage 3, stage 5 is for 9sec and under cars makin like well over 500 at the wheels
Old 06-25-2006, 07:32 AM
8 Second Club

I was looking at this clutch as my next choice for my SC Z. Slowhawk swears by this clutch and says many DD C5's use this. Now with C5's we need to slip the clutch on launch at the track or else we lose drivetrain parts. We can't side step like the f-bodies can. Even if we run ahrdeend shafts, DTE brace and HD tranny output shaft they won't take much sidestepping. All of the fast C5's that pull 1.4 sixties slip there clutch at launch. If this is the case-I may just go with the Textralia or the new Ram Dual disc.
Old 06-25-2006, 08:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would not even consider running any clutch from Ram. Every Ram clutch that people have tried here locally has failed before they get to beat on them. If you don't want the spec 5 I would go for the Mccleod.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:03 PM
TECH Veteran

vortech, if you cant sidstep it and need to slip it you definatly dont need a 5, thats completly opposite of what its good for, the stage 4 i run is very slipable on the street if need be but still has insane holding power, especially if you wont be pushing past a 1.4, i put 4-5 thousand abusive street miles and prob 200+ low 1.4 high 1.3 on my last one and it came out still working fine. from my experience with different clutches, the stage 5 is useless or should i say not needed on any street vehicle unless you cut low 1.3 in a heavy car often at the track snd drive it on occasion, the stage 4 is plenty of clutch for the street, single disk mcleoud wont hold up, i smoked it quickly with slicks, the dual disk i havent tried but it should be good as well
Old 06-25-2006, 04:00 PM
8 Second Club

Thanks for the input bro. I have heard the Mcleod Dual Disc is a nice setup but it's very hard on the tranny synchro's due to the inertia of the clutch-it's areal heavy piece. I have heard both good and bad about the Cartek and Spec-I currently have the RAM HD but I have yet to put it through it's paces at the track. I'm leaning towards the Textrailia based on the there track record for standing behind the product.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:51 AM
Turbo Addict

I am running a stage 5 now on the street.....MM has been for about 20,000 miles.
DO NOT slip the 4....it won't last...I went through 2 of them in under 8,000 miles. I tried slipping it off the line to get better launches.....it worked great....but only for a few passes.
And regarding the slipping thing....
For extremely modified drag race and pulling engines, or applications that call for a ‘slipper’ clutch/progressive torque-induced engagement.
Straight off Spec's site.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by RICE ETR
I am running a stage 5 now on the street.....MM has been for about 20,000 miles.
DO NOT slip the 4....it won't last...I went through 2 of them in under 8,000 miles. I tried slipping it off the line to get better launches.....it worked great....but only for a few passes.
And regarding the slipping thing....

Straight off Spec's site.
its really all going to depend on your power level, the guy that started the thread makes half the power you do therefore the 4 will work fine for him, i slipped my 4 when it was my dail driver for months and months in rush hour traffic and still beat the snot out of it on the track and it never gave me one issue
Old 06-26-2006, 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I hate to jump on the bandwagon and beat Spec up, but I put a Stage 3 Spec in my car a few months back. Has roughly 4000 miles on it with NO track passes. It's only been ran on the street twice.

Other than that, its been regular daily driving and messing around on the highway.

I'm running basic boltons. Lid, LS6 intake, Headers, ORY with a cutout so theres no way I'm putting down too much power for the clutch yet its already starting to slip.

I guess shortly, I'll find out how the LS7 clutch holds up.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:49 PM
8 Second Club

I think anyway you look at it no clutch is designed to be slipped accept factory clutches. With the C5 you just don't have much of a choice unless you are fine with replacing diff's and trannies. My car is driven 6 months out of the year so maybe just maybe I would put on 5000 miles a year on and say roughly 100 quarter mile passes per year. In all honestly if I could find a clutch that wouldlast me at least one season I would be happy with it. Right now the Spec 3+ seems to be the most viable option for a DD/ strip car. I just don't understand what people hare doing as far as installs go and getting it wrong-how hard can it be to install a clutch properly in these cars?
Old 06-26-2006, 05:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Vortech
I think anyway you look at it no clutch is designed to be slipped accept factory clutches. With the C5 you just don't have much of a choice unless you are fine with replacing diff's and trannies. My car is driven 6 months out of the year so maybe just maybe I would put on 5000 miles a year on and say roughly 100 quarter mile passes per year. In all honestly if I could find a clutch that wouldlast me at least one season I would be happy with it. Right now the Spec 3+ seems to be the most viable option for a DD/ strip car. I just don't understand what people hare doing as far as installs go and getting it wrong-how hard can it be to install a clutch properly in these cars?
its not hard if everyone follow directions, alot of people dont tho, some people dont balance the setup, dont torque things right, dont put locktight on bolts and they backout, just alot of different things, i have had 3 clutches pesonally so far, my mccloud was a great clutch on nittos, but my first sidestep on slicks and it was toast, put in my stage 4, ran it for a year and a half, probably 200+ track passes and 4-5k street miles, no chatter, sliped it in traffic, dumped it from 6500 at the track, took it out when i redid my tranny, it was working fine but had some wear on it, never had a problem with it, then i put in my new stage 4, so far about 50 passes on it with 0 breakin other than a few heat cycles and a 2 easy runs, no problems thus far, so either i have really good luck or people just arent doing something right, i have friends that have gone through multiple brands and probably 8-9 clutches each in there cars with no problems
Old 06-26-2006, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just don't understand it ,I ran a SPEC 2 for 40,000 miles with no issues. 9" Moser Detroit Locker many ,many high rpm dumps MT DR's. I was starting to get some chatter so I figured I'd replace it with a Spec 5. The SPEC 2 I took out was in great shape other than blue hot spots on the flywheel. I did have it balanced locally. How so many of these SPEC's are fk'd up is beyond me. I don't see how the quality control could vary so widely. I think a lot of these *** ups have to do with leaving the spacer out , bad hydraulics and just plain incompetance on the install.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdsz
and just plain incompetance on the install.

if i were to guess i would say this accounts for most of the problems
Old 06-26-2006, 09:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by bigdsz
leaving the spacer out , bad hydraulics and just plain incompetance on the install.
honestly, i havent used a spacer yet, its not required unless you having trouble, just makes disengaugment easier, but mine does fine, i think it has more to do with something not done properly on the install or something not upgraded to work efficiently
Old 06-26-2006, 11:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Id go with a spec 3+....Oh wait I did! I love it! I have around 6k on it now....

Quick Reply: Spec stage 5 slipping w/ 8k miles NO abuse