Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

grinding 3rd?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 09:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default grinding 3rd?

ok so i have a 98 SS with the T56. since ive bought the car it seems like sometimes if im racing and shift hard into third the transmission will grind pretty badly. Also when the car is cold and i either shift from 1st to 4th or just into 3rd it will also grind...... what do u guys think the problem is? and how can i fix it?
Old 06-25-2006, 11:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Allstar
ok so i have a 98 SS with the T56. since ive bought the car it seems like sometimes if im racing and shift hard into third the transmission will grind pretty badly. Also when the car is cold and i either shift from 1st to 4th or just into 3rd it will also grind...... what do u guys think the problem is? and how can i fix it?
My car does the same thing, and its a 98 as well. Whenever the engine/trans are cold, it will grind into 3rd. It will also grind 2nd and 4th if I try to hustle it through the gears when its cold.

Once its warmed up it's usually fine, although 3rd gear will still grind on occassion, probably due to all the mis-shifts with the crappy stock shifter

First thing I would do is get an aftermarket shifter if you haven't already. I got a Pro 5.0, and its been excellent. You'll never miss 3rd again, because it has an offset 3rd gear mechanism, all you have to do it push forward from second and it goes right to 3rd

Also might want to try changing your transmission fluid. Our T56's specify ATF as a fluid, so I drained mine and filled it with Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF. It shifts smoother, but the grind is still there in 3rd when its cold, due to the synchro being worn out I think.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:15 AM
Teching In

does it only grind in 3rd when warm or 3rd and 4th.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:46 AM
Teching In

thanx for the info Domestic Demon, i think im gonna go ahead and get the pro 5.0.

it only grinds 3rd when warm, 4th is when its cold.

Quick Reply: grinding 3rd?