Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Puzzler- Missing 1,3, Reverse after rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 11:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Puzzler- Missing 1,3, Reverse after rebuild

Hello. I just had my transmission rebuilt (locally) and put about 100 miles on the transmission. I had first gear for a while, but now the transmission will kick me out of first, or I can't get in at all, or it feels like I'm in gear but instead it just grinds. Third gear was iffy from the start - again not letting me in - or it would feel like it was in gear but instead it would just grind. Now it is completely inoperable. Reverse is similar - it is hard to get into - it will feel like I'm in gear but just grind. When it works - there is a strong "click" as the clutch is let out.

I have a short shifter with shift stops- but I loosened those up so the top stop completely. The transmission was rebuilt with a steel shift fork, new synchros, new gears, new bearings, new mainshaft, etc.

I jacked up the rear of the car to verify that the clutch was fully engaging - and it was. The clutch is 150 miles old and in good shape. The clutch pedal feels fine and I re-bled the system.

No particular event brought this on - when I was driving I did some quick 1-2 shifts (with the clutch), but that is it. The first and reverse problem developed after about 80 miles of driving - and third gear became completely inoperable at this time as well.

The rebuilder drove it and is stumped - any ideas????

Thanks!
Ben
Old 07-18-2006, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hope you did not do exactly as you wrote. I have see loose stop bolts fall in the shifter and give shift problems you describe. Tighten them out of positionto plug the holes. Let us know .
Old 07-18-2006, 11:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

The shift-stops (they are bolts) are loosened, but the nuts securing them are still present and tightened so the bolts aren't going anywhere.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well it still sounds like something is blocking those"up" gates.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:49 PM
Banned

Are you sure your up shift bolt is not stoping it short of shifting ?? Just a question becouse it sounds weird that it is only your upshifts that are doing this