Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Eating clutch fluid, clutch going to floor, slave or master?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 11:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Eating clutch fluid, clutch going to floor, slave or master?

Alright, 2001 T56 ~21k miles, So it's a 01 slave.
Master is a Willowood rx7 master that you adapt (ls1 rx7) with ~15k miles or so.

Anyways, it eats clutch fluid like crazy! I fill it at the "full" line and after a couple of drives around the block it's midway or less from the low-full mark!

Also, regardless of fluid amount (Or atleast i'm assuming) the clutch will engage extremely low and fast, causing me to stall out, so I pull the clutch back, pump it, and it's good to go, it's almost at random sometimes, or after sitting.

Where exactly would I look for clutch fluid if the slave is leaking? I *think* there appears to be a stain of fluid around where my bellhousing meets my engine, would that be clutch fluid?

So my friends, what is it? Slave or Master? Thanks

-Andrew
Old 07-20-2006, 01:59 AM
10 Second Club

Sounds like a bad slave. Check to see if the bleeder on the slave is closed, if it is sounds like your slave is leaking.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Dude, when you find the answer to this one, please let me know. I'm currently having the exact same problem with my 01' T56 also.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

I agree, it sounds like the slave is leaking.

Have you noticed any leaks under the car? If it was the master or the hydrolic line, you would be able to see the fluid dripping.

The slave leaks into the bellhousing for the transmission, so you wouldnt be able to see it until you dropped the tranny.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If its leaking as bad as you state, there should be evidence where.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

You guys are absolutely correct , I got under and saw the leak from under the bellhousing. Now in terms of $$$$, how much should I expect to come out the pocket?
Old 07-21-2006, 01:21 AM
10 Second Club

I think the slave is around $200
Old 07-21-2006, 01:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks man, is this a "do it yourself job" or should I have a mechanic look into it. I've never done any clutch work on this car, so I woudn't want to get myself into something I can't get out of.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:38 AM
10 Second Club

You could do it yourself if you got 4 jackstands and a jack and some basic hand tools, but if you know a good tech. I couldn't see it costin you more than 3 hours of labor + the slave.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like your leaking fluid from the connection from the master to the slave. From your symtoms, it sounds like you have a lot of air in the system. That "quick" disconnect might not be on all the way? You should also try bleeding the system. Here's a great way to bleed: http://performanceworks1.com/ls1_clutch_bleeding.htm

If it was the slave that was leaking, then I'm pretty sure that fluid wouldn't be draining to the ground. The slave is inside the tranny and would be leaking onto the bellhousing so all the fluid would burn up in there.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would bet that the leak is coming from the slave. Thats why you're seeing the fluid out of the bellhousing.

Its definately a job you can do by yourself. Just make sure you have plenty of jackstands and a jack for the tranny and plenty of time. Its not that hard, just time consuming. You wont have to touch the clutch, the entire assembly can stay in the car. All you have to do is drop the tranny and then there are two bolts that hold the slave on. It slides over the input shaft and is a direct bolt in. Go to installuniversity or ls1howto and get the writeup for a clutch swap and follow those directions to drop the tranny. If you have any mechanical knowledge or have a friend with any, you can do the swap with no problem.

Also, The slave shouldnt be quite 200 dollars. You should be able to find one in the 150 range without much problem. I bought my last one from ws6store.com and I got it quick and the price was good.

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...d15b2fca2a52db
Old 07-21-2006, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Xtnct00WS6
Sounds like your leaking fluid from the connection from the master to the slave. From your symtoms, it sounds like you have a lot of air in the system. That "quick" disconnect might not be on all the way? You should also try bleeding the system. Here's a great way to bleed: http://performanceworks1.com/ls1_clutch_bleeding.htm

If it was the slave that was leaking, then I'm pretty sure that fluid wouldn't be draining to the ground. The slave is inside the tranny and would be leaking onto the bellhousing so all the fluid would burn up in there.
The fluid wont burn up. I'm sure some of it will, but when you run through as much fluid as he says he is, eventually it spills out of the bellhousing. Only reason I say that is because its now happened to me 4 times. I havent had any problems with the quick connect, but I replaced it when I replaced the master.
Old 07-22-2006, 07:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The slave is not "inside" the trans but it is inside the bell cavity.The bell is vented at the bottom so leaking fluid will just flow out.The brake /hydraulic fluid is not going to burn up unless something is VERY wrong. It will flow out the bottom of the bell.
Old 07-23-2006, 03:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thumbs up

Thanks for all of your help guys, I might as well knock the clutch, flywheel, and the slave out at the same time. I guess I've found my excuse to finally drop the LS7 clutch and the LS2 Flywheel into this puppy!!!! Thanks again.
Old 07-23-2006, 03:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Unhappy

By the way, after I checked the car out, turns out that the problem is Slave. The quick connect is broken and the fluid leaks out everytime I press the clutch. I checked with the local mechanics and they all recommend replacing the slave instead of reparing the connect.

I've decided to do the work myself. After all, there's always a first for everything.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:18 PM
On The Tree

Werd, i'm going to order mine from summit, http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Can anyone confirm that that's the new part # (01+ slave)? I gotta drop my t56 next weekend and swap that sucker out, then start prepping for road racing

Quick Reply: Eating clutch fluid, clutch going to floor, slave or master?