Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

possible ls7 clutch issuse

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 09:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default possible ls7 clutch issuse

Well I have had my LS7 clutch in since april And it probaly has 5-6k miles on it and probaly 30 track passes. My best ET is in my sig. I haven't really been easy on this clutch launching is anywhere from 3500phm-4000rpm on MT ET Streets (bias plys). But 2 weeks ago when I went to the track. Everytime I raced it I was having trouble getting gears. I missed 3 and 4 on 2 passes. But everytime I got to the end of the track the pedal was engaging right off the floor and maybe not even completely disengaging. making it hard to put in gear and stuff. But by the time I got back around to the staging lanes the clutch engagment point was back to normal. This problem just started 2 weeks ago. I did bleed the clutch out this last week to flush all the dirty fluid out of the system to try and clear things up. But I got on it the other night on the highway and it still does it.

As far as the install. I locktighted all the flywheel and PP bolts so I know that is ok. It is still all stock 01 master and slave and I did NOT do the drill mod. mainly cause it was a major PITA doing my buddies adjustable master so I didn't want to take mine out just to do the drill mod.

Any ideas as to what else might me going on. It doesn't seem like the clutch is slipping on anything and it grabs stong when I let it go at 4k rpm. Thanks in advance Dan
Old 08-30-2006, 10:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My LS6 clutch has been doing this for like 2 years, I just pump the clutch petal and go on, lol.. I have 100's of passes on it with many in the 1.6x-1.7x 60' range. Mine sticks almost every pass at the track. I replaced the master ahwile back and it helped for a little bit, but then started again. I just deal with it.. haha

PS, i've got an LS7 clutch sitting at the shop to replace the LS6.. i'll have to see how it does.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:08 AM
10 Second Club

anyone else?? This is really starting to bother me
Old 09-01-2006, 11:19 AM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most issues like this will be heat related. Are you adequately insulating the hydraulics line from the exhaust? Heating up the fluid makes it expand and push back into the reservoir, it could locally boil and cause it to go all mushy temporarily.

The drill mod really can't be the issue here. Its only purpose is to let the clutch re-engage quickly after letting off the pedal. As soon as you hit the floor with the clutch pedal its disengaged. The drill mod might make it easier to push down fast but that is all.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:54 AM
10 Second Club

It is just wierd I haven't had this problem all summer until 2 weeks ago and it has been cooler here now than it had been some of the other times I was at the track.