Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Questions about my clutch and noises it makes.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about my clutch and noises it makes.

I have a dual friction centerforce in my car. It used to grip great, was an alright clutch for a while. It's getting really bad now. Every time I start my car I can hear it rattle from the inside and it rattles when you drive it almost no matter what speed and gear. Sometimes it wont make noise on acceleration but once in a great while. I have the stock flywheel in the car and have only had it resurfaced. I have had a new bearing put in with the clutch when I had it put in since I had my longblock replaced under warranty about 30k+ miles ago. I would never go with a centerforce again. They don't come as a kit and you have to run around finding additional parts to install with it. I have a spec stage 3 ready for install but I hear that they are not good and just explode. Is this true? I was told that the spec stage 3+ was made to replace it and is a much better buy. Is this true? Also would it be good to go with a billet steel flywheel or just stick with my stock one still? I could use some advice and some help please. Should I install my spec 3 or sell it and put a spec 3+ in?
Old 09-17-2006, 05:12 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You might have some broken springs on your disc or your TO bearing is cooked. I however caused my centerforce to slip because of overpowering it. I have had 2 stock clutches, Spec3, Centerforce DF, and now a Ram VDS Twin Disc w/ aluminum flywheel which is simply amazing!

My Spec however decided that it would break a spring o nthe disc and that was when I started hearing the noise. I have some pictures of it and the centerforce from the carnage I can show you.

Honestly, my SPEC lasted 28k miles of hard street driving and a few trips to the track for all day melee. The only thing wrong was that the pressure plate was worn down a bit and the spring broke on the disc. Other than that it held up great to heads/cam and abuse.

you are correct about your findings on the centerforce. I share the same feelings. If for some reason you do decide to ditch the Spec 3+ and go with something different the Ram Powergrip clutches are nice for the money.

I have 2 billet flywheels that I have been thinking about parting out with and would be willing to at any time. Let me know what you are trying to do and I will try and help you out where I can.

Jordan
Old 09-17-2006, 05:18 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is a visual from the Spec disc:

Old 09-17-2006, 06:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
You might have some broken springs on your disc or your TO bearing is cooked. I however caused my centerforce to slip because of overpowering it. I have had 2 stock clutches, Spec3, Centerforce DF, and now a Ram VDS Twin Disc w/ aluminum flywheel which is simply amazing!

My Spec however decided that it would break a spring o nthe disc and that was when I started hearing the noise. I have some pictures of it and the centerforce from the carnage I can show you.

Honestly, my SPEC lasted 28k miles of hard street driving and a few trips to the track for all day melee. The only thing wrong was that the pressure plate was worn down a bit and the spring broke on the disc. Other than that it held up great to heads/cam and abuse.

you are correct about your findings on the centerforce. I share the same feelings. If for some reason you do decide to ditch the Spec 3+ and go with something different the Ram Powergrip clutches are nice for the money.

I have 2 billet flywheels that I have been thinking about parting out with and would be willing to at any time. Let me know what you are trying to do and I will try and help you out where I can.

Jordan
**** that would not be good. Yeah it don't really slip much and holds good just gets annoying with the rattling noises it makes.

I will have to look and see how much the RAM power grip ones are. My buddy had a RAM in his 95 Firbird formula and blew it apart and put another one in and did the same thing. He is hard on his car too racing everywhere and powershifting all the time.

Are you billet flywheels new or used? If used how much wear? I just want to put in a clutch that will be great for daily driving and hold up to quite a bit of power for when I put my headers, heads and cam and a few things on. I have not done a clutch replacement before and was planning on doing it my self with a help of a book and all my tools and tips and tricks from fellow members.