Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Bleedin brand new ls7 clutch, new slave, new master

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 01:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bleedin brand new ls7 clutch, new slave, new master

i juss had the ls7 clutch kit installed with a new 02 slave and new master.
the place i took it to bled the clutch by just unhookin the line from the slave connector and pushin a drill bit in it to open it while pressin and holdin the clutch pedal and bleedin it that way. i thought you were supposed to bleed it thru the actual "bleeder screw" on the slave cylinder, not the hydraulic line connecting to the slave cylinder. cuz my 2cents says a brand new slave cylinder out of the box of course has air inside of it. so if you bled the system juss between the master cylinder and the end of the hydraulic line(where it connects to the slave) wont there be a big pocket of air in the slave cylinder waiting to be released once you connect the line to the slave? anyways my symptons are these:
-clutch engages after releasing about a 1/2in off of the floor
-u have to push the clutch pedal completey to the floor to disengage
-with the clutch pedal fully pushed to the floor and in first gear, the car moves forward when i rev it up high(5-6k rpms)

im pretty sure it needs to be bleeded again the right way, thru the bleeder screw on the slave cylinder......the problem is do i have to completely remove the tranny? if so the hydraulic line is not long enough to keep the slave attached to the line. and you cant install/uninstall the slave without the tranny being dropped. so my ? is....how do you bleed it thru the bleeder screw? i need step by step and sum details. please help me out with any input. thanks
Old 09-23-2006, 02:05 PM
On The Tree

check the stickies
Old 09-23-2006, 02:16 PM
On The Tree

oh yea...wanted to add one more thing.... about when the clutch pedal is pushed completely to the floor, and how the car moves forward when i rev the engine up......after that u smell the horrible stench of burnt clutch lol
Old 09-23-2006, 02:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Uh ya it needs to be bled again...from the screw. What kind of **** shop did you take your car to?

As far as it rolling forward w the clutch in it isnt disengaging properly and yea...you are smoking the **** out of your new clutch.
Old 09-23-2006, 02:28 PM
On The Tree

sounds so lovely. i took it to fbody central. their top techs are great, but all the other techs are kids who have no clue of what theyre doin. if u get one of the top techs itll be perfect...if u get one of the other techs, plan on unprofessional shitty "makes you wanna do it yourself" results. is there a way i can bleed it thru the bleeder screw without fully removin the tranny....like juss unattach it from the bellhousin then pull it back enough to reach the bleeder screw?
Old 09-23-2006, 04:35 PM
On The Tree

as i stated above if you read manuel tranny fac in the stickies at the top it shows you and tells you how to use the bleeder screw
Old 09-23-2006, 08:59 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The factory ones I've installed, you do not have to bleed. They come full of fluid, and you just snap the lines together.

You can bleed them though, sometimes it's a pain.

Last edited by 2002 SS #476; 09-23-2006 at 09:06 PM.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:34 PM
12 Second Club

you dont need to remove the tranny, you can see the bleeder its right underneath where the hydraulic line connects to the slave, it takes a lil finess to get the socket on there but once its one its all good, and while your doing this you'll notice a lot of fluid coming out from the small hole in the bottom of the bellhouing and it will continue to drip/pour out of there for a little while after the bleeder is closed, its just residual fluid in there.. and for everyone else who just says READ THE STICKIES READ THE STICKIES, yeah i know the information is on the site already but ya dont have to be such a tightass about it give the guy a little info, good luck with it man
Old 09-23-2006, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like you need to bleed. my LS7 i just put in grabs right off the floor also FWIW. i have bleed and bleed too. never had a problem either.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Using the proper proceedures, you may be able to get it working right without bleeding again. You can also open the fluid reservoir and rapidly pump the pedal 10+ times. This will help bring any air bubbles up through the system into the open reservoir. Do it again for insurance. Make sure you put some heavy rags around the open reservoir to catch any spray. BTW: this is a GM tech manual solution.
Old 09-24-2006, 12:01 AM
12 Second Club

mine initially grabbed off the floor then slowly worked its way to a comfortable spot
Old 09-28-2006, 08:13 PM
On The Tree

just finished bleeding it the correct way thru the bleeder screw. it worked, the clutch feels good.