Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Can you diagnose this?: clutch hydraulics

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 01:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Diagnosed! McLeod clutch hydraulic issue

Two weeks ago: Rebuilt McLeod master cylinder, reinstalled and bled the whole system with the front elevated. After excercising it a bunch it firmed up for a 10 minute test drive and was firm the next morning. Then...constant problems with low engagement and varying engagement.

Today, bleed #1: Bled it again with the car perfectly level. Went GREAT! Super-firm pedal, no softness at all. Went for a test drive and it stayed ROCK SOLID until about 10-15 minutes of city driving. Then it got soft with an engagement near the floor.

Today, bleed #2: Tried bleed again with driver's side inclined (considering position of bleed screw). Got it rock solid again, but then 5 minutes into the test drive it GOT SOFT AGAIN!

I have run out of ideas. I can still "pump it up" during driving which normally indicates air in the system. I don't think there is air initially in the system after bleeding because the pedal is PERFECT until I drive it around awhile. There is no fluid in the master cylinder boot and no seal fragments in the reservoir.

I need some serious help before I totally lose it. I need to race the car on Oct 7 and then going to MFBA Road America the next week.

Last edited by Machine; 09-30-2006 at 11:45 PM.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:10 PM
Launching!

i would say your slave is slowly going out, you get any kind of leakage from the bottom of your bellhousing
Old 09-25-2006, 08:58 AM
Staging Lane

I am not getting leakage and no drop in level in the reservoir.

Thanks for looking.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Since air is getting in, you have a bad seal somewhere. It can only be the slave or master--as you know. I believe with the master, it's possible for the fluid to blow back and forth past the seals without actually leaking out of the system.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:16 AM
Teching In

long shot bit what fluid and are ya too close [lines] to heat
Old 09-27-2006, 10:24 AM
Staging Lane

Thinking the same thing, I just insulated the lines and it didn't resolve it. I think it must be the MC seal. I occassionally am having firm pedal, but rarely. It seems to come out of nowhere, which makes me think it isn't air.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:27 AM
Staging Lane

Insulating the line didn't help....but I do have some new information!

If I push the pedal to the floor and reeaaally slowly let it back up, it will sometimes have a firm pedal for the next depression.

This is my theory: The cylinder cup is getting tilted/jammed on the return. Keeping pressure on the cup from the top side keeps it oriented properly and helps give it a better chance to return.

What to do?:
Should I try to get a finer cylinder hone to reduce the friction on the return?
Should I try to stretch the spring or go back to the original?
Should I wait it out and hope that the cylinder cup wears itself in?

Comments?
Old 09-30-2006, 11:10 PM
Staging Lane

Well, I think I figured out what has been going on with my McLeod master cylinder.

The piston is galling.

http://www.americanconscience.com/im...eod piston.jpg

I re-honed the cylinder, put the old piston back in, and took it for a test drive. It is better but not perfect. It still "sticks" occassionally, even after I spent a lot of care with a cylinder hone and follow-up with a fine-grit sandpaper wrapped around a dowel (to hopefully plateau the surface to remove any high spots from the hone).

I'll give it a couple days to see how it goes. After that, I think I will give it up and go with a different brand.

Does the piston really need to be this tight at the front edge? I wouldn't think that it is necessary, since the cylinder cup is doing the work. Thoughts?
Old 10-20-2006, 07:58 PM
TECH Junkie

i think you should just get an automatic.