Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Removing a T56 from a 98 Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 05:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing a T56 from a 98 Trans Am

Could someone please tell me how to disconnect the hydraulic line from the bell housing? I know this is probably a stupid question, but this is the first time I have removed a manual trans. with a hydraulic clutch.

Also, is it better to remove the transmission from the bell housing or remove the trans and bell housing as a whole unit.

I have the transmission bolts that bolt to the bell housing loose, but the transmission does not want to break free from the bell housing.

Thanks in advance for any info!!!!!

Old 10-24-2006, 06:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

grap the clutch line and push it in than push in the plastic ring around it than pull it out.
remove the trans from the bell housing than remove bell housing from motor
Old 10-24-2006, 06:49 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the help. I have all the bolts loose from the trans to the bell housing, but the damn thing will not bust loose! I have grabbed the rear of the transmission and shook it wildely; nothing!
Old 10-25-2006, 12:57 AM
TECH Resident

When i first removed the tranny from my 98 formula it was soooooo hard to bust loose. I had to have 3 guys help me and it took sooo much effort even with all 4 of us. idk if we did damage to it or not but i have a feeling we did. The dam thing just wouldnt come out.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:45 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

2 flat screw drivers normally work the best. Just sliding that plastic piece in far enough is the key to getting it to disconnect.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First make sure you have all the bolts from the gear box to the bellhousing out. Especially check for the top bolts. Should be 8 bolts. If you look on each side of the gear box around 3 and 9 o'clock there will be little indentations that you can fit a screw driver/pry bar in. Use these to work the gear box off EVENLY and GENTLY. Make sure the trans is supported and level, and don't pry so hard or in an area that you damage the gear box to bellhousing mating surface or you can screw up the trans alignment. A lot of T56s are hard to get off the first time.

What's going on is you have 2 tight fittting dowel pins going from the gear box to the bellhousing. For one the dowels are steel and the bellhousing is aluminum so a little corrosion is happening. Secondly the dowels are so tight that if the trans isn't pulled straight back evenly the dowels bind up. When you put the trans back in make sure you put a light coat of anti-sieze on the motor to bellhousing dowels and gear box to bellhousing dowels.

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm
Old 10-25-2006, 04:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

if it is that hard you might want to invest in the special tool that is used to remove it
Old 10-26-2006, 11:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GMTECH4
remove the trans from the bell housing than remove bell housing from motor
when i removed mine i removed the trans with the bell housing conected to the trans. Had no problem took about 45 min.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:45 AM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ls16spd
when i removed mine i removed the trans with the bell housing conected to the trans. Had no problem took about 45 min.
It's easier to pull the tranny first.

X2 on Orangeapeels post.

Use a flatblade Screw driver, (relatively big) and pry the tranny back to loosen it up. Then you can get the rest by hand.

Make sure you have ALL the bolts out. Sometimes it's easy to miss one your first time. It's just something you didn't see.

Rob
Old 10-27-2006, 08:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't worry about disconnecting the hydro line. Once you break the tranny from the bellhousing, the tranny will slide back enough where you can just take the slave off and leave it hanging. That way you won't have to bleed the system if you don't want to.
Old 10-28-2006, 12:59 PM
Teching In

Spray penetrating oil in the holes for the dowel pins. let it soak overnight before working on removal of unit.
Old 10-28-2006, 03:45 PM
On The Tree

I would disconnect the hydraulic line... My first time I pulled the t-56 it slipped off the jack with the line connected and busted the slave... That was a $150 woops oh ****.
Old 10-29-2006, 02:41 PM
12 Second Club

Two flat heads worked great for me

Quick Reply: Removing a T56 from a 98 Trans Am