Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

how difficult to fix t56 reverse gear at home?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 10:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default how difficult to fix t56 reverse gear at home?

I was just wondering if I had my tranny out for a clutch replacement in the future if it would be feasible to attempt to fix the reverse shift fork/synchro at home on my own since it pops out of reverse every once in a while right now?

Isn't reverse right at the back end of the tranny? How hard would this job be?

thanks...
Old 11-21-2006, 06:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not that hard but if its popping out of gear there is most likely damage to the fork, synchro and reverse driven gear. You should plan on replaceing all of these.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's easy to get to. And yeah, you'll probably want to replace those parts, as well as the snap ring that holds the fork on. And inspect the fork shaft to make sure that the snap ring groove isn't wallered out (I've seen that happen).

But once you pop the back part of the case, everything you need is 'right there', and all you need is a decent set of snap ring pliers.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks alot guys. I guess I will try to fix it myself if it isn't too difficult. I had the dealership try to fix the reverse popping out back when the car was still under warrantee but I think all that they did was replace the actual reverse gear and none of the other reverse components. The tranny has popped out of reverse since new (especially on a cold start when it is colder outside) and it hasn't been much better even after the dealership supposedly fixed it.

Quick Reply: how difficult to fix t56 reverse gear at home?